Pump Ground Wire

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by bobabuoy, Mar 1, 2006.

1. bobabuoy

bobabuoy New Member

I have a three wire sumbersible pump. I can see the red, yellow and black wires coming up from the well, but I don't see any green ground wire. Is this safe? Should there be a ground wire coming up to the motor control box?
  2. speedbump

speedbump Previous member

Yes, it's safe. The new code that came about sometime in the 80's added the green wire to submersible motors. Yours must be quite old by now and when it gets changed, the new one will require the four wires instead of three.

bob...
  3. rshackleford

rshackleford New Member

spedbump is right.

it gets a bit confusing. a two wire pump really has three wire and a three wire really has four wires.