Pump cycling

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by motovet123, Feb 16, 2011.

1. motovet123

motovet123 New Member

4 years a go i replaced my 1/2 hp shallow well ( 65 feet ) pump with a 3/4 hp ( it was only thing available on a Sunday evening.. I also replaced my expansion tank at the same time. Recently my bladder ruptured so i replaced the tank AND switch. New tank is a 44 gallon switch is a 30/60. My empty tank pressure was set to -2 llb's below the total pressure. Approx 37 psi according to the instructions. With that being said,,, my pump cycles with only a toilet flush. Could i have reversed the wires on the switch?

Help!
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2011
  2. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

The air pressure with no water in the tank should be 1-2 psi less than the turn the pump on switch setting; 29-28 psi if you run 30/60.
  3. motovet123

motovet123 New Member

Whoops, i made a typo... I meant to say 27 psi with the tank empty.
  4. justwater

justwater Well Drilling/Service

well, unless your toilet uses 15 gallons when it flushes... you got something else going on.
  5. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

Is there a check valve on the inlet line to the tank?
  6. motovet123

motovet123 New Member

I don't think there is a check valve..... I'll check tomorrow when i get home.