Pump cycling vs continuous operation

Discussion in 'Irrigation / Sprinkler Forum' started by OLDMAN, Jul 28, 2011.

1. OLDMAN

OLDMAN New Member

I have a well and pressure tank. During the operation of my irrigation system, on the first two zones the pump runs continuously at 44 PSI. On the other three zones, the pump cycles on and off (30-50 PSI). Please advise me which is the preferable condition.

You have a fabulous site! Found it on Google.
  2. zl700

zl700 DIY Senior Member

Constant operation is preferred

Motor cycling is tough on the equipment

Amperage draw is always higher on starting versus running so pump cycling could use more energy depending on cycle rates.
  3. OLDMAN

OLDMAN New Member

Thanx 700, I shall replace the nozzles in the 3 zones which are cycling, with larger orifice nozzles; that should increase my volume and, hopefully, result in continuous operation of my pump.
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  4. OLDMAN

OLDMAN New Member

I replaced the nozzles in the 3 "problem" zones and, voila, I am now getting the desired continuous pump running full time in all zones. Again, thanx "zl700."