Pump cycling every 30 seconds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Kengineer

Reaction score
House is spring fed and pressure is assisted by a pump mounted atop the pressure tank. The pressure switch is a 30/50 and the pump is cutting off at 45 and back on at 40, this occurs about every 30 seconds. The water has not been used for several months, the air pressure in the tank was low (about 15 psi) so I added air to bring it up to 28psi. and that did not help. The air pressure has held at 28psi for the last four days. I replaced the pressure switch and there is no difference. I have checked the lines for leaks and cannot find any. I would appreciate any suggestions to help with this problem.

Reach4

Reaction score
When you are not using water, does the pump cycle?
What model is your pressure tank?

Widgit Maker

Reaction score
Assuming that your tank is a bladder tank, your symptoms indicate a ruptured bladder. Release all the air out the schrader valve and see if you then get water (out the schrader). If so, you have a ruptured bladder.
Empty the tank of all water and then repressurize to 2 lbs. less than the pump cut on pressure. The pump and tank will function until the air has again been absorbed by the water but that should give you time to purchase a new tank.

Kengineer

Reaction score
Assuming that your tank is a bladder tank, your symptoms indicate a ruptured bladder. Release all the air out the schrader valve and see if you then get water (out the schrader). If so, you have a ruptured bladder.
Empty the tank of all water and then repressurize to 2 lbs. less than the pump cut on pressure. The pump and tank will function until the air has again been absorbed by the water but that should give you time to purchase a new tank.
Yes, it is a bladder tank. I initally released a little air from the Schrader valve and got only air but did not know I need to let all the air out to see if water would then come out. Thanks for your help!

Kengineer

Reaction score
Your system would be similar to one of these: http://redlionproducts.com/media/4880/shallow-well-jet.jpg

In your 30 second cycle, how long is the pump on? 20 seconds, or what?

If you turn off the power to the pump while you are not using water, how long does it take for the pressure gauge to read zero?
The pump runs for about 30 seconds and is off for about 30 seconds. The pressure gauge never goes below about 20psi so I think it may be defective. I have removed it and will replace it this afternoon. Thanks for your reply.

Kengineer

Reaction score
This system is gravity fed from a spring so I don't think there is either of those valves. Thanks for your reply.
Also, I took your advise and drained all the air from the tank and no water came out of the Schrader valve so I guess the bladder is O.K. I'll replace what may be a defective gauge and recharge everything and hope this solves my problem!

Reach4

Reaction score
Also, I took your advise and drained all the air from the tank and no water came out of the Schrader valve so I guess the bladder is O.K. I'll replace what may be a defective gauge and recharge everything and hope this solves my problem!
Also clean out the nipples to the gauge and pressure switch.

This system is gravity fed from a spring so I don't think there is either of those valves. Thanks for your reply.
You would have a check valve, wouldn't you? I would think you would need one.

Widgit Maker

Reaction score
A gauge is for you to read, not the pump. The pressure switch is what controls the pump. A gavity fed spring would not have or need a foot valve. But you would need a check valve to prevent the pressure in the tank from pushing the water back out through the pump. It may be internal to the pump or it may be external. If internal just install another one between the tank and pump. What kind of piping?

Kengineer

Reaction score
A gauge is for you to read, not the pump. The pressure switch is what controls the pump. A gavity fed spring would not have or need a foot valve. But you would need a check valve to prevent the pressure in the tank from pushing the water back out through the pump. It may be internal to the pump or it may be external. If internal just install another one between the tank and pump. What kind of piping?
O.K. thanks, I will find the check valve. When I replaced the gauge and recharged the bladder the water pressure rose to 42psi and the pump stopped cycling. It has been about 4 hours now and it seems to be working right. I appreciate all of your help.

Kengineer

Reaction score
Well, I found the check valve and think that may be part of the problem. When the pump shut off at about 42psi I could hear water begin to flow somewhere and the pressure dropped to 30psi and the pump cycled back on. There are no leaks anywhere and no water was being used. When it shut off the next time it held the 42psi until I used enough water in the house for it to cycle back on. So could the check valve be sticking and only working part of the time? The house is plumbed with 3/4" pex but the fittings on the pump and pressure tank are a mixture of galvanized and brass. The check valve is 1 1/4".

Widgit Maker

Reaction score
What is the piping between the tank and the pump and what size? Check valves come in all sizes. Also come for horizontal and vertical. I am guessing that you found a check valve that is an integral part of the pump. Just put another one in the line between the tank and the pump if that is more easy.

Kengineer

Reaction score
What is the piping between the tank and the pump and what size? Check valves come in all sizes. Also come for horizontal and vertical. I am guessing that you found a check valve that is an integral part of the pump. Just put another one in the line between the tank and the pump if that is more easy.
The piping between the pump and the tank is 1 inch black plastic. The check valve is a 1 1/4" horizontal mount which I have removed. The only one I could find was 1 1/2", I don't know if the difference in size will matter. I have tried to get a pro to come but no luck so far.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks