Pump cycles too often...

Users who are viewing this thread

pete102

Reaction score
Hi Folks. I'm a homeowner who wanted to get educated about my deep well system. After reading lots of questions and replys here, I'm pretty sure I have some problems, or potential problems with my well.
Thanks for the great info you guys provide, and hopefully you can answer some questions for me.

Here's what I have going on:

We had the water tested when we bought 4 years ago, and were told we had iron bacteria. We have been shocking the well with bleach every 4 to 6 months (the home inspector and county health department told us it's the way to handle the problem of the smell the water takes on.) Mostly hot water. Lots of iron here, they say. We always get black water from the faucets after letting the bleach/water sit in the copper lines overnight. Works fine, but after reading some posts, I'm thinking that might not be such a good idea?

I put in an in-line filter. Just a simple cartridge unit. I change the filter once a month not cause it's plugged, just maintanance, and it always has a redish/brown color.

Have had pin hole leaks in 3/4 copper twice after shocking the well. I'm going to replace the copper between the well tank and the softener (about 100 ft including outside hydrants) with CPCV. Good idea? Is the smaller ID on CPCV going to cause volume problems?

The house is 35 years old, before they kept records on wells, so I don't know how deep, or what kind of submersible pump I have. Next door the well is 250'

I have a Well-X-Trol WX-202 tank. Switch is at 50-30, tank air is at 22#. The pump has two wires, 220, no ground wire.

Takes 21 seconds to fill from empty with no faucets open.
Draw down 5 gallons from full at 50# to empty at 0# with pumped shut off.
Draw down 2 to 2.5 gallons from full at 50# till the pump starts at 30#.
With the kitchen faucet open, takes 45 seconds from 50# to pump on at 30#, and 11 seconds for pump off at 50#.

Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks, Bob.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Drawing down the tank from 50 to 30 should yeild 6.8 gallons, not the 2 - 2.5 gallons you are seeing. Determine why it is.

Your pump cycle is too short. Consider a Cycle Stop Valve.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Bob,

I would go with 1", the cost difference would be worth it.

A bigger tank would be nice, but with what you have, what you are getting is about normal.

I think your tank air should be around 25 PSI, if you are running 30/50, But I am no expert.

Pitterpat

HandyWOMAN
Reaction score
The house is 35 years old, before they kept records on wells, so I don't know how deep, or what kind of submersible pump I have. Next door the well is 250'

Bob,

I am in Indiana too. There may be records on your well. Go to this site, it is on the IN.gov site: http://www.in.gov/dnr/water/3595.htm You put your info in in various ways and can search to see if your well was recorded.

Pat

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks