Pump cycles too much

Users who are viewing this thread

frentz

Reaction score
FYI - reply to my question to Hunter

Thank you for contacting Hunter Technical Service.

The SRC+ is not capable of operating 2 valves at the same time. The Hunter XC, Pro-C and ICC controllers do have the power to operate 2 valves wired together at 1 station terminal. Click on the link below for more information on these controllers.

http://www.hunterindustries.com/Products/Controllers/default.htm

Technical Service
Hunter Industries

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
"The SRC+ is not capable of operating 2 valves at the same time."

I didn't know that Hunter removed the Master Valve capability from the SRC. Any controller that's running a master valve is running two valves simultaneously. Now, the original SRC had a fuse for overload protection, but the triacs that switch the zones on and off can burn out much faster than a fuse can blow. So what Hunter did was to use a 20 voltamp transformer, a 3/4 amp overload fuse, and 4 amp triacs. Hopefully, the transformer was incapable of enough current to blow the triacs.

If the SRC Plus has separate overload protection for zone valves and master valve, then the protection might kick in with two valves connected to a zone. If there's only one overload circuit for the entire controller, then it wouldn't know the difference between two valves on one zone, and one zone valve and one master valve.

I have two valves on one zone on an original SRC, and it's been working for about a decade, in a system where the controller also is powering a master valve. All from the original 20 VA transformer. Now this isn't strictly kosher, but at the time of the work, there was only the SRC to be used (with the SRR remote controller) - the arrangement probably takes advantage of the ability of valve solenoids to operate on less than optimum power (about 7 VA instead of 10 VA in this installation) ~ I did install a one amp fuse in place of the 3/4 amp fuse, but with the limited power source and 4 amp triacs, I doubt they ever see an overload.

frentz

Reaction score
I'm sure that Hunter is being conservative and I probably could squeak by with two solenoids on one zone but I have found another solution.
I told the wife to plant more flowers until she caught up with the pump curve :D

Oh and the SRC+ does have Master Valve capability.

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
frentz said:
Oh and the SRC+ does have Master Valve capability.
That's good. I'd hate to have to switch brands. You have to allow for the reps to try to steer callers away from trouble. ~ As far as goes a system with a few bubbler zones that need more flow, the only real answer is to install more/different bubblers. It doesn't matter if you have bubblers overlapping other bubblers. All you're doing is flooding the bed, and five times the bubblers won't wet the rose foliage.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks