Pump Cycles Every 45 Seconds With No Demand For Water

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by dgrowe, Dec 13, 2006.

1. dgrowe

dgrowe New Member

I recently noticed that my well pump is cycling constantly with no demand for water. I checked the pit where the pump and tank reside and there is no sign of a leak there. Is it possible that I have a break in the line between my house and the pump?
  2. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

Shut off the water to the house at the pressure tank. Watch the pressure gauge, if it falls or the pump still comes on, the eak is on the well side of the tank. If not, the leak is on the house side. This condition kills pumps and switch contacts fairly quickly. It also spins the electric meter pretty good.
  3. dgrowe

dgrowe New Member

I turned the supply at the tank off. There was no pressure drop and the pump did not kick on. Guess this means I have to start digging?
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2006
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

leak?

Not necessarily. You could have a bad check valve that is allowing the water to drain back into the well through the piping. Is the valve you shut off located between the pump and the tank, or the tank and the house?
  5. dgrowe

dgrowe New Member

Unfortunately, the tank and the house.
  6. Rancher

Rancher Guest

I agree with HJ, it depends on what you are calling the supply, but since there is no good reason to put a valve between the pump and the tank, (except I have one) I assume this is the supply to the house. If so you may have a leaky toilet, or break in the supply pipe...

Rancher
  7. dgrowe

dgrowe New Member

Sorry, didn't mean supply valve. It was just the ball valve at the pressure tank that shuts off the water to the house. I've connected a temporary hose from the drain outlet to a faucet in my garage to keep the pump from cycling. So far so good. I'm going to put in a new supply line tomorrow. Thanks for all the help.
  8. Rancher

Rancher Guest

Good Luck.