Pump cycles before reaching cutout.

Users who are viewing this thread

done_right

Reaction score
I searched this forum, but couldn't find an answer to my problem. I have an old Goulds shallow jet well pump that has worked without a problem for 25 years. The pump motor last night smelled of burnt electrical and was rather hot. I turned it off and let it cool. It now turns on at 21 psi like it should, but turns off before reaching the cutout and the motor gets hot. It would turn off at about 30 psi then after a few minutes turn on and go up a few psi and then turn off and do the same thing until it finally reached the cutoff (45 psi).

The pump is for a sand point well and I have a well-x-trol pressure tank. The line pressure does not drop at all it just cycles before reaching cutout. I will most likely replace the pump since it is so old, unless it is an easy fix. Any good pumps for a sand point well???

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
The pump motor apparently has internal thermal protection. It shuts off because the motor gets hot and restarts when it cools off.

It may be that the impeller or a bearing has failed, or that a capacitor has failed in the motor.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks