Pump burnout

Users who are viewing this thread

John and jill

Reaction score
hi,
I installed a flotec 6s 10 months ago, using a yaoda skd-3 control valve. After 9 months use, the pump stopped, I checked the valve and pump, found the pump had either a broken shaft or impeller, actually the motor had burnt out. Received a free replacement flotec 6s plus, fitted and fired it up, worked superb for 4 weeks, then no water on demand, pulled up pump, Same problem pump motor burnt out. Can anyone help me with what the problem might be, I suspect electrics, but have checked the control valve wiring, it seems ok, I cannot get an English version of. Wireing diagram, can anyone help with this.

Best regards.

John.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Quit using Flotech pumps, use a conventional Square D pressure switch.

Is the tank in good condition?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Your problem is that Yaoda thing, not the pump. I didn't know what it was and had to look it up. A picture was all I needed. I had to laugh. That is the same old "Masscontrol", "Prescontrol" thing I have seen with at least a half dozen names in the last 25 years. Seems like every few years they come out with a new name for that thing, and people fall for it all over again. There are also several similar ones like the Davey Torrium, A lot of other pump companies have one of their own with different names. It is usually a little box mounted directly to the pump like on the Grundfos MQ, so you have no choice but to use a control that will shorten the life of the pump. And this method will really shorten the life of a submersible.

It is a pressure/flow on and flow off control for the pump with a flow switch that works at about 1/6th of a GPM. It also has a small built in pressure tank about the size of a teaspoon. Jets and centrifugal pumps will survive a little while on one of those "controls", but it works at too low a flow to cool a submersible, and has too small a tank to prevent rapid cycling, either or both of which will make short work out of a submersible.

A Flotec is not a high quality pump to start with. So you want a control that will maintain a minimum of 1 GPM flow, has enough of a pressure tank to eliminate rapid cycling, a regular pressure switch, and a pressure relief valve. Then even a Flotec has a chance of lasting a long time. Here is a video.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks