pump breaker\

Users who are viewing this thread

Paddy Kelly

Reaction score
I bought a house that sat for a year and a half. I turned the water on and everything worked fine. One day the breaker for the well pump tripped and it won't come on at all. I have concluded that it is not the breaker. I connected the feed wires and the pump wires to bypass the pressure switch. I am assuming the problem is the pump or wiring. Any thoughts?

Reach4

Reaction score
Are you saying that the breaker trips whenever you turn the breaker back on?

The problem would seem to most probably be the pump failed. It could be a wiring problem, but that is less likely. I think you should call a pump person.

Paddy Kelly

Reaction score
Are you saying that the breaker trips whenever you turn the breaker back on?

The problem would seem to most probably be the pump failed. It could be a wiring problem, but that is less likely. I think you should call a pump person.
Yes, the breaker sparks a bit and won't even stay on for a second. I am afraid you are right, but I was hoping that there was something I was overlooking. Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
OK. Is there a control box involved? If you have a "3 wire pump", the problem could be in the control box rather than the pump. You did not say if your pump was a submersible down the casing or if it was a jet pump in the yard or the basement.

Still, if the problem is simple, the pump person will be able to set it right quickly.

Paddy Kelly

Reaction score
There is no control box and the pump is submersible. Also, It's just a two wire system. I might add that whoever put this pump down there decided to run the supply line straight down through the top of the riser, then just filled in the gap within the 4" pipe with spray foam. Ugh! So, Craigpump, you think it might be a wire issue? Down around the pump maybe?

Mliu

Reaction score
It's a lot cheaper to hire an electrician to investigate all the above-ground wiring BEFORE you start pulling a well pump!

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yep, sure do. Either that or the windings are completely shorted out.

With an ohmmeter, you can check for shorts on each line and check continuity through the motor windings.

Btw, around here most electricians don't know how to trouble shoot pump problems.

Reach4

Reaction score
Also, after isolating the wires completely from the breaker panel, also check resistance to a non-electrical ground. Should be over 1 meg. To blow the breaker, the resistance would have to be a lot lower than that.
How about uploading a photo of this "riser"? I have a picture in my head, but I hope the real picture does not match that. I presume it is outdoors, so you will want to improve that setup.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks