Pump and Irrigiation Design Advice needed for Non-profit Farm Site

Users who are viewing this thread

CloudHead

Reaction score
Hello, I am helping a friend who runs a non-profit to design a well water pump and irrigation system for his 1.5 acre urban farm site that is located near an inner city high school. Its an amazing opportunity so we want to do it right, but time and experience are limiting factors. My idea is below. Our projected water use is 25 -150 gpd tending towards the lower side initially.

Some of my concerns are installing the 4" submersible pump and wiring it. I know the small mag-drive could provide pressure for the drip irrigation system and the 4" submersible pump will only need to kick on 1-3 times per week to fill the 300 gallon res. I was hoping to wire a manual cut on/off switch to fill the tank. It seemed like a pressure tank and switch would be expensive and still require the pump to kick-on frequently because they don't have as a high capacity as an IBC.

I think we should find nice low-cost solutions that can be replicated, although on this site, we do have significant funding for needed equipment.

Alternatively, a colleagues suggested 12v DC pump and/or a simple hand pump connected to a 12v DC motor. I am interested to evaluate those ideas as well, but my research has been with submersible pumps and I am not familiar enough with electrical design and well pumping. One of the reasons I can see a 12v DC pump would have an advantage is the ability to easily utilize solar power. We currently do not have electrical connections, but today I think we will talk with a tenant on the land to make an agreement using their electrical grid.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.

OwEWUzi.png

Depth to water: 19-22'
Depth of water: 6'
Well about 2' wide

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Just put an 80 gallon pressure tank on the well pump and irrigate directly from that. 80 gallon tank at 30/50 pressure will hold 30 gallons so the pump will only have to run 1 to 5 times per day.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks