Pulling wire through existing conduit

Users who are viewing this thread

Nelsonba

Reaction score
I need to install a 3-way switch for a stairway. I want to avoid tearing out the wall. Right now there is a switch at the top of the stairs that operates a light at the bottom, but that's it. I'd like to replace that switch with a 3-way switch and add a 3-way switch at the bottom. I should be able to get the bottom one in with little demolition. Is it possible to pull new 3-way wiring through existing conduit for the switch at the top? House was built in 1931. Wiring is metal conduit with two wires inside. I haven't looked at this run yet, but I'm guessing it's the smaller size conduit. Just wondering if this was a common solution for this problem?

Thanks

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
If you can get from the switch of the light to the new switch location it should be easy enough.

The wiring details depend on the existing wiring and if you come from the light ot the switch.

Must have been a high end house to be conduit in 1931.

Nelsonba

Reaction score
I think the wiring is referred to as "BX". Basically two wires that are inside a metal flexible tube.

Billy_Bob

In the Trades
Reaction score
If there is enough room in the conduit, yes.

Note is is much much easier to use the old wires as pull wires and pull all new wires.

MaintenanceGuy

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's probably type MC, which is very similar to the older BX.

MC (and BX) comes with the wires already inside the metal cladding. There is not room for any more wires and you don't pull your own wires through MC (or BX). You run the factory assembled cable (wires and cladding together) from box to box and the wires that come with it are all you get.

There is a flexible aluminum conduit, often called "greenfield", that looks just like MC. This comes empty and you do pull wires through it. It's not usually used between switch boxes to light fixtures though.

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
It's probably type MC, which is very similar to the older BX.

House was built in 1931 :)

BX is cable, not conduit, so no.

You can still do it but you will use a new and improved version of the BX.

You will need to get a path from the existing switch or light to the new switch location...possibly both

Last edited by a moderator:

Old Coot

Reaction score
What Billy_Bob said. The two existing wires inside of the MC/BX likely are likely really "fat" with old-style insulation. Try this: kill the circuit, carefully disconnect old wires at both ends and see if you can move the old wires back/forth just a little. If you can, I don't understand why you couldn't use the old wires to pull as many new wires as you need using modern THHN whose insulation is relatively thin and slippery. The O.D. of modern #12 THHN is substantially smaller than the antique #14 you probably have.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
Don't you just love the Do-It-Yourself help given on some of these web sites?

Rolling on the floor laughing at some of these answers. :D :D

Why not just install a pull chain keyless with a string at the top and bottom of the stairwell? We call this a hillbilly three way and you don't even have to change anything. :p :p

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
switches

I think you would have to be VERY lucky to pull new wires through a BX sheath, given the turns it usually took to get from point A to point B. And even luckier if the BX actually went between the two boxes you need for the switch.

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Don't you just love the Do-It-Yourself help given on some of these web sites?

Rolling on the floor laughing my ass off at some of these answers. :D :D
I am laughing at the suggestion of pulling the conductors out of old BX and pulling new ones in.

It is hard enough to pull off an 8" section of sheathing off that old crap. :rolleyes:

Brownizs

In the Trades
Reaction score
Short answer no. You will have to open up some walls, or pull the moulding that runs along the top edge of the risers to run wire, then will have to use a Pull Lead to bring it up the wall. From there, will have to figure how to get to the lighting to pull the new up to date wire. It can be done, but there is some work involved.

We still have not pulled new wire for the ceiling lights in the 2 bedrooms, and split the bathroom off to its own circuit, due to the amount of work needed to pull the wiring, and update it. Same for the other lights through out the house. All the outlets have been done to get rid of the old Greenield.

Old Coot

Reaction score
I am laughing at the suggestion of pulling the conductors out of old BX and pulling new ones in.

My suggestion was merely to try that approach as a last resort. The attempt will cost nothing but a little time and (with a lot of luck) it just might work. Interesting that someone would laugh at that, but hey, it's a free country. :cool:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
laugh

We can laugh at it, because we KNOW it will not work and the suggestion is laughable to even try. It will not even take any lost time, because it will be apparent as soon as he grabs hold of it and pulls. The fish may keep bumping the dam, but we can laugh at his attempt to knock it down, regardless of what the song says.

WV Hillbilly

Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken there is a wireless kit available to make a single switch light into a 3 way . If you don't want to tear up walls and/or spend a lot of time & money this might be an option for you . I think the kit has a piece that screws into the existing light socket & a switch with a couple batteries in it that you just mount wherever you want . Works kind of like a remote control .

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
x-10

X-10 makes a "stick on" switch, that works with one of their regular switches, and the controller, to make any light work from as many switch locations as you desire.

ccandreva

Reaction score
I realize this thread is 2 years old, but given everyone saying it won't work, I wanted to add that it can indeed work, because I have done it.

Now, the trick is to not expect to be able to pull between any two random points. If you can, say, access the BX where it comes out in the basement directly below a switch or outlet, you can pull wire through the old BX and avoid breaking up old plaster. I did this with an outlet, and was able to run #12 3 conductor ROMEX®, with the ROMEX® sheath, through the old #14 2 conductor BX metal 'conduit'.

I would be interested to know what the original poster did.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The X-10 system uses a electronic switch module in place of the existing switch and a "wireless" switch screwed to the wall where you need it to provide 3-way operation.

Furd

Engineer
Reaction score
Now, the trick is to not expect to be able to pull between any two random points. If you can, say, access the BX where it comes out in the basement directly below a switch or outlet, you can pull wire through the old BX and avoid breaking up old plaster. I did this with an outlet, and was able to run #12 3 conductor ROMEX®, with the ROMEX® sheath, through the old #14 2 conductor BX metal 'conduit'.

I would be interested to know what the original poster did.

I would bet a dozen donuts that what you thought was "BX" was in reality "Greenfield" flexible metallic conduit.

ccandreva

Reaction score
I've since sold that house so I have no way to check. But I'm about to try it again, so in the interest of getting my donuts :) How would I confirm it is BX as opposed to Greenfield ?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks