Pulling a submersible - not sure if this is right

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by bigdaddy, May 19, 2012.

1. bigdaddy

bigdaddy New Member

OK I'm a little green at this so please forgive any ignorance on my part. I've gone through all the checks for low pressure issues and now believe that I need to pull the submersible for some checks. I'm using a 1/2 ton electric hoist to pull up but it's not moving. How much lifting power is needed? am I doing something wrong? do all submersibles have the same pitless adapter which requires a straight pull up or is possible the pipe needs to be turned/unscrewed?
  2. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

I know of at least three different styles of pitless and only one pulls up without any special release mechanism. One style needs to be unscrewed and the other style has a crow's foot with release cable.
  3. LLigetfa

4. bigdaddy

bigdaddy New Member

Yes looks just like part A - above. I'm still a little unsure how to release it.
  5. LLigetfa

You need a special tool that goes down through the support pipe and unscrews item F or M.
  6. LLigetfa

7. bigdaddy

bigdaddy New Member

OK, I see now. Thanks. Now hopefully I didn't already damage it by lifting the whole assembly up about one inch.
  8. bigdaddy

bigdaddy New Member

Thanks for the help. local hardware or big box stores didn't have the tool and it didn't want to wait for one to be shipped so I ended up using a 1/2 inch pipe and notched out the center like above and worked fine. Thankfully I didn't do any damage all is working good now.