pull points, junction boxes, and conduit bodies

Users who are viewing this thread

mdr

Reaction score
I'm installing a feeder circuit to a detached garage. For a variety of reasons, the conduit will pass under the house (through crawlspace), out through an LB, run underground and then into the garage. I'm trying to figure out the layout under the house.

Because of the house's configuration (multiple remodels), I've got >360 from entry LB to exit LB and will need a pull point somewhere in the middle (and least accessible location, of course). I have a few options but would like to use best practice:

a. use a type c (through) conduit body prior or after one of the elbows.
b. use a junction box prior to or after one of the elbows
c. replace an elbow with a j box
d. replace an elbow with a LL

I know that there are minimum bend radii requirements and body length requirements for both the jbox and the conduit bodies.
Thanks,
Murray

mdr

Reaction score
The house is 360' LONG? Install a pull wire/tape in the conduit as you assemble it and use that to pull the wire through the conduit.
naw. >360 degrees of bend.
Not worried about getting the fish tape in, but trying to address the code issue of no more than 360 degree of bend in a raceway without a pull point.

Stuff

Reaction score
d is the simplest but an LB is easier if you can fit it. a and b are a waste of extra materials. With a big box c is easiest to pull especially if you haven't upsized the conduit.

mdr

Reaction score
d is the simplest but an LB is easier if you can fit it. a and b are a waste of extra materials. With a big box c is easiest to pull especially if you haven't upsized the conduit.
Thanks for the info. Appreciate the perspective. I'll probably use c, the j box in place of the elbow.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks