Pull-out hose kitchen sink leak

Users who are viewing this thread

Laagarf

Reaction score
Hi!

We have a kitchen sink faucet with a pull-out hose (I don't have a pic of the faucet, hope to get one later and post), and the hose connection under the sink was leaking. It has leaked in the past, and a handyman fixed it with a white plastic part that connects to the pip with a little white clip. Then a small piece of pipe (see picture) connected the white plastic piece to the hose. Recently, the larger white plastic tube came off, and when re-attached, wouldn't stay on. I think the outside of the white clip wore down, but I'm not sure.

The folks at the hardware store(s) didn't recognize the white plastic adapter, and sold me numerous "universal" hoses with many adapters. The closest I've gotten was something called a "snap coupler" that had some ball bearings inside a female end that snapped up onto the pipe (like this http://www.homedepot.com/p/NEOPERL-3-4-in-Solid-Brass-Small-Snap-Coupler-37-0101-98/100665996), then another connector to connect the male end of the coupler to the male end of the hose. But where the coupler and the adapter fit together, it still leaks (despite pipe dope or teflon tape).

I don't know the make of the faucet, but I just read that might be listed on one of the pipes. I'll check that tonight and see if it's there and if the manufacturer can help.

In the meantime, any advice is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 849
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 1,980

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That brass elbow is NOT going to work because it is for a completely different type of connection. Maybe a picture of the faucet would help identify it.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Also note that most of those push on connections WILL leak if you use pipe dope or tape on them! Pipe dope or tape is only required when you have tapered pipe threads (no gaskets with these) - on those, it fills in between the threads to stop it from leaking. Those other fittings have something like an o-ring or other gasket to create the seal, and pipe dope or tape will disrupt it from working properly.

Laagarf

Reaction score
It is a Pfister faucet, possibly this one: http://www.pfisterfaucets.com/Kitchen/Product/F-WKP-701C.aspx

Also, I was able to get a much better look, and that black piece that the hose was connected to (previously via that elbow and the white plastic piece) looks like it can be removed, but it doesn't want to be removed easily. I wonder if that is part of the original faucet, or the previous handyman's handiwork.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 743
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 729
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 702
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 772
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 693

Laagarf

Reaction score
Things seem a lot clearer after finding out this is a Pfister Shelton model. The diagram shows that black piece is supposed to be there, and the white piece that broke came with the faucet and original hose. Will call Pfister in the morning and see if a replacement part is available.
Thanks so much for your help! If you have any other ideas for work arounds, in case they don't have the part, feel free to continue to comment.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Use your site reference then locate the "maintenance guide" at the bottom. use that to find the part number(s) you need then call 1-800-PFAUCET and they will send you the parts you need.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks