Puddled water on shower floor- problem down the road?

Users who are viewing this thread

Harriet

Reaction score
Hi,
I just had a bathroom remodel which is beautiful, but my shower floor has two puddles. The size of the shower would not accommodate a standard shower pan, so the contractor built it using concrete. The grading to the drain is not right, and the puddles are about 5-6 inches long and the area is still wet 12-14 hours after a shower. When I asked the contractor about it, he said don't worry about it and to squeegee the floor after every shower. I've been doing that, but curious what others think. Is this acceptable? I'm concerned the grout will degrade faster with standing water on it. Others that take showers in there do not always remember to squeegee. Is it really that much trouble to fix it?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The bigger question may be is ' is the whole shower waterproofing system done right?'. There are lots of ways to make a proper shower, and while actually not technically hard, it's the details that matter. Mess up one of them, and you can have some major problems. Having a birdbath or two in the shower pan floor is a sign of less than ideal workmanship and may indicate other, deeper problems. Standing water isn't necessarily going to mean quicker wear. One thing many people do not realize is that a properly built shower should be waterproof and function PRIOR to the installation of the tile, which is a wear surface, not the waterproofing. The waterproof membrane must also be sloped to the drain, and that whole thing should drain properly before tile is installed. Was a flood test performed prior to completing the shower after the liner was installed? If so, it should have become evident that there was a problem. If that was performed, and passed with no birdbaths, yes, it is possible to repair this without tear out of the whole thing. Otherwise, it gets more complicated. IN a typical shower, there are three layers prior to the tile and thinset: preslope, liner, setting bed. There are other ways to do this with a topical waterproofing that puts the liner on top of the preslope, but ALL showers require a waterproof liner somewhere, and it should be flood tested prior to completion of the tiling.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks