PRV valve, Readily Observable Defined

Users who are viewing this thread

Brother

Reaction score
Had a plumber install a pressure relief drain line with air gap for the water heater in the laundry area. It does not go to the sink nor does it go to a drain in the floor, just inside the wall that is partially open. The issue is that the laundry area is very small, just enough room for the washer and dryer side by side and pushed back as far to the wall they can go. The air gap/drain line is not 'readily' observable in my opinion because it is directly behind mostly the washing machine and dryer.

They were to originally run this to the exterior like the my other place and did not do it. This was their decision to run it this away. It was explained to them that a washer is not easily moved and will be stationary most of the time and I wanted to be able to examine the pressure drain line easily to sure it is not having problems.

What is the CODE definition of 'readily observable' ? I wanted to be able to force them to run it to the exterior like they were originally plan to do.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
That rule is from the 2012 code. When the code was amended, that rule was deleted and another two part section was created that changed the wording and became effective January 1, 2015.

Brother

Reaction score
That rule is from the 2012 code. When the code was amended, that rule was deleted and another two part section was created that changed the wording and became effective January 1, 2015.
Do you have that wording? I would like to see what it says.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Here is the amended section of the 2012 NC Plumbing Code:

504.6 Requirements for discharge piping. The discharge piping serving a pressure relief valve,
temperature relief valve or combination thereof shall:
1. Not be directly connected to the drainage system.
2.1. Discharge through an air gap located in the same room as the water heater, either on the floor, into an indirect waste receptor or into a water heater pan.
2.2 Discharge through an air gap or air gap fitting to a remote termination point that is observable by the building occupants.
3. Not be smaller than the diameter of the outlet of the valve served and shall discharge full size to the air gap.
4. Serve a single relief device and shall not connect to piping serving any other relief device or equipment.
5. Discharge to the floor, to the pan serving the water heater or storage tank, to a waste receptor or to the outdoors.
6. Discharge in a manner that does not cause personal injury or structural damage.
7. Deleted.
8. Not be trapped.
9. Be installed so as to flow by gravity.
10. Not terminate more than 6 inches (152 mm) above the floor or waste receptor.
11. Not have a threaded connection at the end of such piping.
12. Not have valves or tee fittings.
13. Be constructed of those materials listed in Section 605.4 or materials tested, rated and approved for
such use in accordance with ASME A112.4.1.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks