PRV Recommendations

Users who are viewing this thread

JK60

Engineer
Reaction score
I would like to replace my old discontinued Watts U5B PRV in the hope that it will alleviate the water noise problem I am having. What would you professionals recommend? Another Watts PRV such as the 25AUB or N35B, a Wilkins 600, or perhaps another brand? Thank you for the information.

Jerry

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
What noise are you talking about? Is the PRV making noise as the water flows through?

JK60

Engineer
Reaction score
There is a sound of rushing water whenever any faucet in the house is open. The noise appears to originate in the area around the PRV. The noise increases in volume with increased flow of water.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Since you have a Watts I would try a Wilkins. I have noticed that some people with very high pressure (110+#) have some sort of noise to deal with. You could try and insulate around the PRV to reduce the noise but some will travel through the pipe.

JK60

Engineer
Reaction score
Thank you for the information. I think I will try a Wilkins this time around. The model 600 seems to have much better pressure fall off specs then the Watts 25AUB and slightly better then the Watts N35B. Hope it'll improve the noise issues. I think I will also replace the main shut off valve (gate valve) with a full port ball valve.

Thanks again,

Jerry

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
All will work fine. Based on my experience, the Honeywell Braukman will outlast the Wilkins or Watts by 5 to 10 years.

JK60

Engineer
Reaction score
I checked on the Honeywell Braukmann D05 valve on their website and then proceeded in trying to find an internet company that sells this regulator so that I can get an idea of its price. For the life of me I could not find a single internet company that carries this product. Can anybody throw me a few names of internet outfits where I might be able to checkout the pricing and perhaps order this regulator. My experience in buying from local plumbing supply houses (not Home Depot or Lowes) has not been good. Typically they are considerably more expensive then the "discount" places.

PS - I even tried sending an e-mail to Honeywell Brauckmann using the url address they provided on their website for contact information. The e-mail came back as undeliverable.

Thank you,

Jerry

Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Plumbing supply houses typically cater to plumbers and remodelers. When a DIY person comes in you are looking at list price most times. They know you will buy 1, and the plumber may buy 100 in a year.

JK60

Engineer
Reaction score
Bob - Thank you for the information on the Conbraco 36H valve. I looked it up and interestingly even though Grainger lists it for $87.50 (3/4") in their catalog page, if you try to buy it, a different page with a price of $97.85 pops up. And this is for the standard version without a strainer. I also would have preferred a regulator with at least one union joint which is not an option on the Conbraco. Nevertheless something to think about. Still would like to get some information on the Honeywell Braukmann regulator. I saw Terry's web page on this valve, but there is no mention there of price or whether he sells it. I even tried sending an e-mail to Honeywell Brauckmann using the url address they provided on their website for contact information. The e-mail came back as undeliverable.

Cass - I understand that the plumbing supply house will charge a DIY person list price which is why I try to avoid them if at all possible. As an example when I was shopping for an expansion tank I ended up paying about 35% less at a discount house then at the plumbing supply house.

Last edited:

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I did a Google search and came up with State Supply -- they have a D05xxx (didn't write down the extra initials/numbers) for $38.

JK60

Engineer
Reaction score
hj said:
Installation codes require at least a union on the outlet of the PRV, but I prefer to install them with two unions.

This is how the regulator is described on the supplier website - 3/4"NPT female union inlet x outlet connections. I interpret this as having one union connection but on the inlet. The Watts PRV I have right now is similar in that it also has a union connection on the inlet.

Just called the supplier and they confirmed that it is a union connection on one side and a threaded connection on the other. Can I just put a nipple in the threaded connection and add my own union?

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks