PRV open air gap to drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Brother

Reaction score
Had another job where they had an open air gap from pressure relief valve to a drain. The problem is that the drain could not handle the rush of water coming into it from the prv and also the prv drain is in the wall and because the water rushes out so fast, it splashes out on the wall and floor and to an electrical receptcle right above it, possible causing a short.

Does the prv drain have to have a funnel for air gap installs? is there any code that says the drain itself has to be able to handle the speed of water comming out and to stay away from electrical outlets?

Reach4

Reaction score
Because of your prior posts, I suspect that you may be talking about the temperature and pressure relief (T+P) valve for a water heater rather than a pressure regulating valve for a house with city water or a pressure relief valve for a well. Is that correct?

If so, if the water is not steaming hot (which you would have mentioned, I think you need to replace the T+P valve. Maybe you did.

To take that kind of water, you would need something kinda special that could handle 15 GPM or whatever that T+P can put out.
tru-gap-airgap-drain.jpg
http://www.tru-gap.com/Default.html
I am not a plumber.

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The valve should never release water unless there is something wrong, so I would start be resolving the real problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks