PRV leaking frm boiler

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by rockycmt, Oct 16, 2012.

1. rockycmt

rockycmt New Member

I have 2 pressure gauges on the system. Never read over 15psi. I have an expansion tank in place. I tested the relief valve when i flushed the boiler. I do this every fall. PRV said it is rated for 30psi. It is leaking mainly during fire up to temp (assuming as pressure builds). Never over 15 psi according to the gauges. Sounds like an end of life PRV and just replace?
  2. rockycmt

rockycmt New Member

I replaced the valve. Old one showed a ton of corrosion inside. easy fix.
  3. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

I'm guessing you didn't fix the problem. Run the boiler up to 200 and see what the gauge says then. I'll bet your expansion tank is either full (if it's a non bladder tank) or the bladder is bad. The other thing that can cause excess pressure is a leak in the tankless coil if you have one.
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Pressure gauges can become corroded too, and not indicate reality.
  5. rockycmt

rockycmt New Member

I used two gauges for that reason. They both read correctly. I replaced the valve and all is working just fine now.
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

A bad valve should have raised the pressure "constantly", not just during startup time. Your description or diagnosis may have been faulty, but as long as what you did "seems" to have fixed it don't worry about it, but do check it periodically.
  7. rockycmt

rockycmt New Member

I think the problem here is i am talking about a relief valve not a fill valve. Maybe my terms thru you off but this is the valve off they tank to relieve excess pressure in the system.
  8. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

That would make a difference, but it would have had to be very defective to operate on the slight pressure rise that the expansion tank was compensating for.