Protective sleeve for concrete slab PVC & PEX

Users who are viewing this thread

BobGa

Reaction score
I hear that it's needed and others say no.

I'll have PVC in a slab and PEX coming thru the slab, what if anything is usually used as sleeves?

Is it required?

I'm not in a cold climate earth temp in the 60's

Last edited by a moderator:

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
In my house (Florida) the piping for water and drain is not in sleeves (it's set in place under the fill and plastic sheeting then the slab is poured over it. The water lines come through the slab where needed with no sleeves. My (1990 built) house has PB pipe which is similar to PEX for this discussion.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would at least sleeve the portion of the piping embedded in the concrete.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Not sure why to sleeve unless you want to add some protection against physical contact (it certainly won't hurt). The PEX is not deteriorated by the concrete of course (think radiant heat systems).

Some say to insulate the hot water lines if installed in slab when for domestic water use - PEX has tubing with insulation on it. I used this for a run through my attic. http://www.supplyhouse.com/Pre-Insulated-AquaPEX-Tubing-11448000

Here's a link to installing PEX in concrete (this is for radiant heat - but its a good read) http://www.pexuniverse.com/content/installing-pex-tubing-concrete-slabs

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks