Protecting Plumbing Under Vanity

Users who are viewing this thread

chicagopete713

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

DIY condo owner here. How do I protect the plumbing under the vanity from being "hit" when stuff is put under the sink, causing the pipes to get out of whack and cause a leak.

If the pipes get slammed into by some "stuff" it could knock off that silver extender pipe that's not threaded into the PVC pipe, it just "dumps" into the p-trap, but the p-trap does have a seal at the top of the trap. I don't have any leaks currently, but I'm worried about the pipes getting hit, moving, leaking and having a nightmare on my hands.

Thanks for any help/tips.
IMG_1638.JPG

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
A longer tailpiece extension would help. If it extends further onto the tailpiece and deeper into the J-bend, a little bump should not cause a leak.

chicagopete713

Reaction score
Will try that, thanks Smooky. Was thinking of designing a brace that came out of the wall and kept the pipes at the current level, but that might be overkill.

feeedyourhead

Reaction score
Check that you have a washer between the tailpiece extender (silver) and the trap. From how you described it, it sounds like maybe it is not present, all those connections should be sealed. Every nut should have a washer that gets squeezed between the two pipes. If installed right it should take any reasonable bump without leaking.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks