Protecting MC wires in PT framing

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by Taylor, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Taylor

Taylor New Member

Thinking of framing my basement in PT lumber (I've seen what decades of basement moisture does to framing). I'll be running MC cabling because I'll have foam insulation up against the outside walls. My question is, are there grommets of some kind (presumably of plastic) that I can use to protect the wires when they go through the PT lumber?

I guess an alternative is running PVC conduit but (a) it's a lot of conduit and (b) on the wall where the circuit panel sits, there would be a lot of conduit.
  2. Taylor

Taylor New Member

On second thoughts....

From the EPA..... Maybe I'll stick to PT for the plates.....

3. RRW

RRW New Member

I don't think pressure treated lumber has formaldehyde in it. HCOH is found in plywood, carpet, probably laminatedbeams, etc. PT has stuff a lot worse for you than formaldehyde, but not very air mobil.
  4. Speedy Petey

Speedy Petey Licensed Electrical Contractor

Good call!
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Pt

If you need PT studs for the walls, then you have a bigger issue than what kind of wires to install.