proposed subfloor removal for bathroom remodel

Users who are viewing this thread

drew53813

Reaction score
Next year I am planning on remodeling my entire front bathroom. I would like to take it to the studs and remove the existing subfloor, because I want to replace all the plumbing and opening it up would make life easier. However, my problem is the old subfloor has asbestos linoleum all over it. Should I just leave the existing subfloor intact or should I go through the motions of wetting it, setting up my shop vac, and wearing a hepa mask? The measurements are roughly 6x6, maybe a touch smaller. Thanks- Andrew

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Don't be paronoid or give in hysteria. Unless you start "grinding" it up, all you have to do is grab a corner and pull, assuming you REALLY mean that it is a sheet of linoleum.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
What you don't want to do is to use power tools to cut it or grind or sand it. Once the molding and wall panels are off, you may be able to cut around the perimeter of the room and pull the subfloor with the stuff attached intact.

Are you sure it has asbestos in it? Linoleum typically does not, but the adhesive could. There are some inexpensive test kits available...you carefully cut out a small sample and mail it in.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Asbestos, like lead, is always a concern, but mainly for the people that are working with itover an extended period. Be neat about it and don't contaminate the rest of the house, and there is little to worry about.

Don't underestimate the job you are looking at either. The walls are built on the subfloor, so you will have to put some thought into what you really want to cut, and how you will replace it.​

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
I would first ask if you are going to pull a permit or do the work yourself? a small floor like that could be carefully demo'd... Its likely the adhesive that is the concern... If you have an inspector sniffing around is another story. California is yet another story. ( Insert Hysteria here per HJ)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks