Proposed schematic for adding washing machine and kitchenette

Users who are viewing this thread

mystryda

Reaction score
I'd like to add a 2nd-story washing machine and a basement kitchenette to what I believe is a 2" vent for a floor drain. Would you review the attached schematic?

I'm guessing about how the existing floor drain is plumbed, since everything's encapsulated in the basement floor. What I see is the floor drain itself and a 2" line that comes out of the floor a few inches away disappears through the ceiling. I'm assuming that this is a vent line. How would I verify that assumption? I'm thinking to break the line, then pour water down it to assure that it connects to the sewer (does this really tell me?) and blow air up it to assure that it vents.

This is in Virginia, so it's under the IPC.

Attachments

• plumbing schematic.jpg
    plumbing schematic.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 432

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You will need to bring in the washer and the sink "below" the venting for the floor drain. Either that or plug or cap the floor drain. Running either of those can siphon that trap.

Wet venting is only done on the same floor, and not by kitchen sinks or washers. Especially not by washers.

I see you breaking up some flooring in your future.

mystryda

Reaction score
You will need to bring in the washer and the sink "below" the venting for the floor drain. Either that or plug or cap the floor drain. Running either of those can siphon that trap.

Wet venting is only done on the same floor, and not by kitchen sinks or washers. Especially not by washers.

I see you breaking up some flooring in your future.

Thanks for the quick reply, Terry. I love your site.

So would this be right, then? (Moved the floor drain "upstream;" sorry, the drawing got a little cramped.)

Will the 2" connection to the main floor drain be able to handle both the washing machine and the sink/dishwasher?

Attachments

• plumbing schematic2.jpg
    plumbing schematic2.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 391

mystryda

Reaction score
Listening through water

So I've got the floor open and I'm trying to find the main drain. I'm 30" down, which is a little deeper than where I need to be, assuming 1/4" / ft drop from the toilet flange across the basement (gives 28").

I pulled said toilet and fed down a cheapy snake. I got someone to wiggle the snake back and forth and I can hear it, but frustratingly I can't find the pipe.

The water table is really high right now, so the bottom of the hole is covered with water. Are there any tricks to listening through water? Will sound always come straight off the face of the water, or should I be able to hear which direction through the water? Like I said, I can hear the snake rattling, but I can't find.

mystryda

Reaction score
So I finally made my splice into the 4" horizontal main drain.

I know that the 2nd floor waste needs to enter before the 1st floor waste. Is it acceptable to have them merge in a horizontal section, like so?

rough_in.png

mystryda

Reaction score
Oops, posted this over Easter weekend, giving it a bump. Does this latest version still work? Thanks.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; I know that the 2nd floor waste needs to enter before the 1st floor waste.

I do not know why you would "think" that since they can connect anywhere, or any way, it is necessary, as long as it is done CORRECTLY.

mystryda

Reaction score
quote; I know that the 2nd floor waste needs to enter before the 1st floor waste.

I do not know why you would "think" that since they can connect anywhere, or any way, it is necessary, as long as it is done CORRECTLY.

I definitely want to do things correctly, which is why I'm posting.

It was my understanding that waste from an upper floor has to enter below waste from a lower floor when connecting to a vertical stack. My experience so far has only been with plumbing on a single floor, so I'm trying to make sure that I'm adding things in the right order.

So does the last schematic work?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks