ProPEX for Shower Valve & Spout

Users who are viewing this thread

CCCBuilder

Reaction score
I bought a Moen shower valve. I intend on using all pex for the 3 connections. I have 1/2" pex to female adapters for the valve, and then a 1/2" drop ear for the shower spout. Is there anything wrong with this?

I'm a bit foggy, but I recall that PEX is not to be used in a tub/shower combo. This is not my case, as it's just a shower so I think I will be fine. But I wanted to re-confirm that PEX is not usable for a tub/shower combo...and why that is. Is it just the line going down from the mixer valve to the TUB spout, or is it both the TUB and the SHOWER spout lines that must be copper? Does using Pex-A (ProPEX) make the inner diameter of PEX no longer an issue?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Many tub/showers work because there is less restriction between the valve and the spout than the combination of height and pipe diameters sending water up to the showerhead. IOW, when running water into the tub, there is also an open path to the showerhead, but that because the water takes the path of least resistance, there's not enough to force it out the showerhead, too until you block that path off with the tub spout diverter. But, use pex to connect to the tub spout, and often, that's enough resistance to then force water out the showerhead at the same time it's going out the spout.

For a shower only, as long as you don't need more volume than the pex can provide, it should work.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
moen-tub-spout-install.jpg

No PEX to tub spouts is what Delta, Kohler and Moen say in their instructions.

pex-to-copper-fitting.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks