proper way to plumb a tempering valve?

Users who are viewing this thread

northman

Reaction score
Hello all, I am going to install a tempering valve at the hot water heater. Is it better to T off the cold pipe to the tempering valve before or after the cold water shutoff valve?

I'm thinking one way is better, and of course the other is easier, just like a little reinforcement before I make a choice.

Thanks for the help.

Greg

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If you Teed in before the cutoff, then if you wanted to shut off hot water in order to work on some fixture, you would still have the possibility of cold water coming through the tempering valve to the hot side. Depending on what type of facility this is installed at, this may or may not be a major issue.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

I had a customer who could not get a proper flow of hot water. His circulating line was connected before the heater's valve, and someone had shut off the valve, so sold water was flowing through the system backwards. Your tempering valve will do the same thing if it is connected before the valve, so you would have to add a shutoff valve to it, in order to service the water heater or hot water system.

northman

Reaction score
jimbo said:
If you Teed in before the cutoff, then if you wanted to shut off hot water in order to work on some fixture, you would still have the possibility of cold water coming through the tempering valve to the hot side. Depending on what type of facility this is installed at, this may or may not be a major issue.

I know, I think the easier solution is to add a 2nd valve at the tempering valve, not quite elegant, but functional.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

Functional? yes. Inelegant? Yes. A nuisance? Yes, because you have to remember to shut off two valves. Why not do it correctly and connect after the heater's valve?

CHH

Reaction score
hj said:
Functional? yes. Inelegant? Yes. A nuisance? Yes, because you have to remember to shut off two valves. Why not do it correctly and connect after the heater's valve?

An isolation valve for the tempering valve should still be used. If isolation is not available, what do ya do when the tempering valve fails? Wait on a plumber or trip to the supply store? No, just close a valve, lower an aquastat and the system is back in business until repairs can be made.

northman

Reaction score
CHH said:
An isolation valve for the tempering valve should still be used. If isolation is not available, what do ya do when the tempering valve fails? Wait on a plumber or trip to the supply store? No, just close a valve, lower an aquastat and the system is back in business until repairs can be made.

Good point, although the tempering valve I have is Italian, no worries there, right?

2nd valve is sounding better.

CHH

Reaction score
northman said:
Good point, although the tempering valve I have is Italian, no worries there, right?

Should be fine with a nice Chianti...:)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks