Proper way to cap unused dedicated dishwasher drain

Users who are viewing this thread

do it right

Reaction score
My house has a 1 1/2" copper drainline that is dedicated to the disshwasher. The drain is connected directly to the 1 1/2" copper vent and is located in the rear wall of the lower left hand corner of the dishwasher space. The kitchen sink drains into the same vent but above the dishwasher drain. About 4 years ago, I replaced our dishwasher and could not use the drain since the location interfered with placement of the dishwasher. I cut the copper drain pipe (to accommodate the dishwasher) and capped it with a rubber cap and hose clamp. I haven't had any trouble with it. So, what's my question? We are moving and I want to make sure that leaving the rubber cap in place would be acceptable under general plumbing codes. If it isn't, I'd like to know what the plumbing wonks would recommend.

Regards,

James

Last edited:

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
Anything plumbing fitting that is affixed and needs to be removed mechanically and stops sewer gases from eminating are code compliant

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks