Proper Washing Machine Drain and Vent Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Eric Delord

Reaction score
Hey guys.. I was hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I'm an avid DIYer and when researching the internet for how to attack my current venture, I hit a bit of a snag...

I am renovating my kitchen, and will be installing a closet/pantry on the OTHER side of this wall. (These pictures is from when I ripped out my bathroom).

The PVC pipe all the way to the left is my main 4" vent. Nothing drains from above. My 2nd floor bathroom drains into a separate branch (not visible in picture) and then connects to the main stack in my basement.

The PVC pipe on the right is the vent for my bathroom sink and you can see the old plumbing. I'll be installing a washing machine on the other side of this wall and would like to know what is the best method to ensure it drains and vents properly?

Any suggestions? Do I need to provide additional information?

IMG_0765.jpg
bathroom img2.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The washer can use use 1.5" vent, and if you have 2" on the waste side you're golden.
Code doesn't allow 1.5" on a washer, though they did use that size in the 60's and earlier.

Eric Delord

Reaction score
The washer can use use 1.5" vent, and if you have 2" on the waste side you're golden.
Code doesn't allow 1.5" on a washer, though they did use that size in the 60's and earlier.
get-attachment.jpg

So in a fit of semi-rage (I needed to feel like I was making progress), I ripped out the wall in question.

My bathroom sink (which is on the other side of the wall) is vented with 2-inch pipe and then drains into my basement in a 4-inch branch line (shared with shower and toilet) which in turn ties into the main stack about 2 feet away.

Is my best approach to drain the laundry at the floor level into the main stack, or am I better off tapping into my bathroom branch?

Hopefully I make sense. I know most of the measurements and which adapters to use and when (and more importantly, what NOT to use), so I'm good there. I just want to pick the most appropriate course for my washing machine (thus making my wife happy)

Eric Delord

Reaction score
You can't tap into the bathroom branch.

If that is the case, I can run the drain down the floor and tap into main vent. Does it matter if I connect above or below where my first floor branch and second floor branch connect into the main stack/vent?

Also, I assume I need to vent the laundry at a separate junction (above the floodline of the washer), but there are some pipes in the way that would make that difficult. Once again, I assume I can't share the bathroom branch vent even if I'm draining into the main stack below?

Eric Delord

Reaction score
Ok. took the rest of the wall done for a crystal clear picture.

From right to left:
Main vent (nothing drains above)
Bathroom sink vent, vents into stack and drains down and reconnects to main vent.
Old corrugated plastic vent from range hood. (being replaced by metal duct)
All PVC on left side is waste line from second floor.

I have 2 plumbers coming tomorrow, but I feel like the answer is.. just there..waiting to appear.. on the right way to vent a washing machine drain.

With the whole wall down, its a lot easier to see whats going on!
20140501_180256_resized.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks