Proper venting of washing machine and sink drain in basement

Users who are viewing this thread

theparkway

Reaction score
I am finishing my basement, where we had the builder put a drain line in for a kitchenette. I am wanting to also put in a second laundry in the basement, and have it share the same drain. The drain is 2 inch coming out of the slab. I have purchased the parts for the drain but want to make sure I am doing things correctly before drywall goes up.

There is no vent that goes up through the main level and to the outside, so as I understand it, the only real option is to use a AAV. My question is do I have to have an AAV both above the sink drain, and somewhere between the washer drain and the sink drain? I have attached a picture of what I have done, dry fitted together.

Also, I purchased a short bend 90 to make the turn to the washer, but after doing some reading, it seems that I should have purchased a sweep 90 instead, is this accurate, or can I stick with the short bend 90?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Tyler
plumbing2.jpg

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The AAV won't help the sink there with the washer dumping over the sink trap arm.
The washer should have come in below the sink.
The sink needs it's own vent, and the washer needs a vent.
The 90 in the corner should be a long sweep.
Washers are done with 2".

washer_rough_b.jpg

theparkway

Reaction score
Thank you for the quick reply. I have quickly put together some mocks showing what I think are good options to meet the requirements you have listed.

All options would use 45 degree angles to lower the elevation of the washing machine drain so that it comes in below the sink drain. Is this an acceptable way to do this? Given how may feet away the washing machine is from the sink drain, and in order to give the proper slope and allow room for the washer p-trap, I worry that if I can not lower the elevation of the washer drain in this way, that the sink drain will be higher than desired to fit comfortably under the sink.

Option 1: Assumes the washing machine vent is not required to be within a few inches of the p-trap. Uses a single AAV.
plumbing4.jpg

Option 2: Assumes there is a requirement that the vent pipe be placed within a few inches of the washer p-trap. Uses a single AAV.
plumbing5.jpg

Option 3: Similar to Option 2, except that instead of running the vent back to the sink vent and using a single AAV, I just ad another AAV in the wall cavity by the washer.
plumbing6.jpg

Also, I didn't account for this before, but I think I need to ensure that whatever vent is used for the washer, that it is higher than the drain line of the washer, my original post did not account for this.

Thanks,

Tyler

Reach4

Reaction score
Option 1 is no good. The problem is that you cannot drop down like that before venting. There may be a length problem, but the dropping problem is a killer if length is not. Option 2 and 3 look good, I think. I am not a plumber.

You need to be able to access the AAVs to change them out when they fail. A vented panel/grill can pass the air you need and let you get in.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Option 1 = NO
Option 2 = Yes
Option 3 = Yes

studor_grill.jpg

The Mini-Vent is a solution for any single fixture and for a group of fixtures connected to a single branch, i.e. branch ventilation in residential / domestic and commercial applications. It can also be used with other Studor AAVs to complement larger and high-rise building drainage systems and is ideal for all single fixtures: washing machines, toilets, sinks, baths and showers, etc.

https://ipscorp.com/plumbing/brands/studor/mini-vent/

Last edited:

theparkway

Reaction score
Awesome, thank you for all the help. That is a pretty attractive vent cover option, way better than the standard metal ones that more like HVAC return air vents. Can you provide a link on where to purchase?

theparkway

Reaction score
For anyone looking, I believe the picture to be this product. "Studor 20380 Low-Profile Recess Box with Grille" and can be purchased several places online with a simple web search.

NC remodels

Reaction score
I am finishing my basement, where we had the builder put a drain line in for a kitchenette. I am wanting to also put in a second laundry in the basement, and have it share the same drain. The drain is 2 inch coming out of the slab. I have purchased the parts for the drain but want to make sure I am doing things correctly before drywall goes up.

There is no vent that goes up through the main level and to the outside, so as I understand it, the only real option is to use a AAV. My question is do I have to have an AAV both above the sink drain, and somewhere between the washer drain and the sink drain? I have attached a picture of what I have done, dry fitted together.

Also, I purchased a short bend 90 to make the turn to the washer, but after doing some reading, it seems that I should have purchased a sweep 90 instead, is this accurate, or can I stick with the short bend 90?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Tyler
View attachment 38779
Tyler,
I have a similar situation with the AAV. You mentioned there was no through the roof vent. I thought you needed at least 1 in order to properly use an AAV...

Lightningwill

Reaction score
I've read previously here that AAVs should not be used for venting washing machines because washing machines create positive pressure due to the pumped discharge and sudsing also creates positive pressure. Obviously, an AAV will not relieve such pressure.

NC remodels

Reaction score
I got great technical assistance by sending a diagram to Oatey. They confirmed the installed DWV system with the use of the AAV's would not function properly. AAV's are great it seems but their placement must be though out.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I got great technical assistance by sending a diagram to Oatey. They confirmed the installed DWV system with the use of the AAV's would not function properly. AAV's are great it seems but their placement must be though out.[/QUOTE

What exactly did they confirm? That the dry fitted first pic was wrong ( I agree) option 1 wrong ( I agree) option 2 and 3 I say are fine . Whether you have an aav or not the plumbing is the same up to the point of the aav , but you just get to stop at aav and no need to continue through roof

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks