Proper use of a wye in a basement bathroom

Users who are viewing this thread

richk

Reaction score
Hi all, this is my first post.

I am putting a bathroom in my basement and will use a sewage ejector pump. I have been unable to determine the best way to plumb this as my space is a bit tight (space between the sewage basin and the toilet).

But I found a diagram online that is not only far better than I could draw, but is also very close to what I would like to do.

The image is at:

richk-drain-and-vent.jpg

I am planning on the same layout but with the addition of a shower--which will be to the left of the sink.

So, in this, the toilet is at the A/B fittings. The sink is at D. And the sink drains along, E/F/G/H/I and connects to the wye at C. The wye at C is the vent for the toilet.

For me, the the shower would be left of the sink. It would join in at H.

But since this is all underground and the sewage basin is also underground, the shower waste lines need to run on the same plane as the toilet waste line (aside from the 1/4/foot pitch).

So, the question is, can I take the wye at C, and lay it down so that it is on its side? In other words, rotate it about 90 degrees to the left.

This way, the shower/sink line will flow into the toilet line.

But, can the toilet be vented that way? With the wye on its side?

If not, then I would need two wyes (one between C and B) so one will work just as shown in this pic as a vent, and one will lay on its side--it will be for shower waste but would not be a valid toilet vent.

I am hoping to use just one wye since I want to keep the sewage basin as close as possible to the toilet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The lav will wet the shower that is to the left of the lav.
Since the waste line is being washed by the lav, the wye between the toilet and the basin can be turned to the side.

"H" gets replaced with a wye fitting.

Sometimes in Seattle, they like the 2" discharge pumped to a 4" line.

All gravity waste fittings below grade need to be proper for waste.

On the horizontal: long sweep
Vertical to horizontal; long sweep
Horizontal to vertical; medium sweep

The closet bend is the exception. It can be a closet bend, a medium bend, a long sweep.

richk

Reaction score
Ok, I think I got it all...

You mean that the lav will be the wet vent for the shower? If so, so far I get it.

Since the waste line is being washed by the lav, the wye between the toilet and the basin can be turned to the side.

So, that wye can be turned only if another fixture will wash it? I assume this is to ensure that the vent remains clear to do its job. But if that wye were to be a vent ONLY, then it would need to be rolled at least 45 degrees?

Yes, I forgot to add that.

Not sure what this means. Does this just mean that the main toilet waste line needs to be 4" and not 3"?

The closet bend is the exception. It can be a closet bend, a medium bend, a long sweep.

This part I just dont get. I will be using wyes with 45 or combos... is that ok?

I see you are in Seattle. I am in NY if it means anything code wise.

A couple of more things:

1) I plan on using 4 inch for the toilet. But is a 3" just as good a s a 4"? Some have told me to go with the 3" but I dont see why I wouldnt just use a 4" (unless the above comment about the 2" discharge means I need a 4").

2) Also, I MAY opt to hold off on the shower for a while and, who knows, may never get to it. My plan is to plumb for it but I wont run it all the way for now. To start, I will take the wye that replaces H and continue it another 6 inches or so, then cap it. In the future, I will just dig up around it (the concrete will certainly be easier to work through than the 60+ year old stuff I am currently going through) and continue on. Any problems with that? I dont want to run it all the way since I dont know where, exactly, I might want the drain. Plus, I figure, why dig all the way now if I may not ever finish the job.

3) After I dig through my concrete floor and put my pipes in... do I just set the whole thing in concrete, covering it all up again? In other words, set the pipe (test it) and then just pour right over it?

Last edited:

Hammerlane

Reaction score
3) After I dig through my concrete floor and put my pipes in... do I just set the whole thing in concrete, covering it all up again? In other words, set the pipe (test it) and then just pour right over it?

I layed sand down to halfway cover the pipes, then some dirt then gravel then concrete.

Attachments

• IMG_3929.JPG
    IMG_3929.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 2,097
  • IMG_3936.JPG
    IMG_3936.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 836
  • IMG_3958.JPG
    IMG_3958.JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 846

richk

Reaction score
Right now, I only have fixtures on my main floor.

The only vent that is exposed in the basement, is a 1.5" vent from the tubc(aside from the 4" stack).

When I add the basement bathroom, I am going to have I am going to have a shower, a sink, and a toilet down there. They will all share one vent.

As part of the renovation, I am also going to move the waste for my kitchen sink. It never had a vent so I am going to put one in. That will be a second vent.

Then, there will be the vent for the sewage barrel. That makes three new vent lines.

The only place I can tie them in is on the vent from the tub. It is about 5 feet long, so they will fit.

It just seems a bit odd to add three vents to that but I am assuming it is the only way to do it.

Oh, well, yeah, I know the pump should have a dedicated vent but... well...

So, I will just interrupt the tub vent with three Tees (no sanitary or wye). Is that right (aside from the pump not getting its own).

And, finally, when I add the vent to my kitchen sink line. the sink line will be running horizontal. I will interrrupt the horizontal with a tee/wye/sani-tee and come vertical with the vent. But only for a few inches, then I will run the vent parallel to the waste line for a few more feet. So, should it be a tee, a why, or a sani-tee... and which direction should it face--the flow of the water, or the flow of the air?

Last edited:

richk

Reaction score

Slight change of plans. The shower will go to the left of the toilet, and the sink will go to the right.
I would like to use a double-fixture wye connected to the closet bend. In this case, do I need a vent on the sink and the shower, or does the sink still vent the shower, even on the other side of the double-fixture wye?

jim20j

Reaction score
My understanding is that the sewer basin needs its own dedicated vent line? Or is that just in my township

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Hammerlane: My question would be "How did you get that Y into the main line without some type of sleeve on both ends of it?"

I am not sure what you mean by a "double fixture Y", but if it is what I think it is, it cannot be used in a horizontal pipe. And, if you use a double "Y", the sink and shower will need their own vents.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks