Proper Tub Drainage?

Users who are viewing this thread

Carnaby

Reaction score
Just a quick question here. I'm renovating my bathroom, my floor is ripped up and I've found I have to replace the existing drain for the toilet and lav. I figured I'd ask about the tub as well since it's easy to access now.

They have 1 1/2 pipe for the tub, but directly under where the trap would normally have been, there's a joist in the way. They have about 7" of 1 1/2" ABS connecting the tub overflow to the trap. I'm guessing they did this because they did not want to cut the joist. I'm wondering if this is allowed, or will I end up having to tear it out and redo that as well?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
overflow

We would have to see a picture or have a better description of what they did. Having additional piping to the overflow could be satisfactory or completely improper, depending on just how the connection was made.

Carnaby

Reaction score
And wouldn't it figure my camera is on the fritz lol. The best I can describe it is this.

The overflow from the tub, instead of connecting into the P-Trap directly, connects into a 90 elbow. The drain continues to another 90 elbow, which is connected to the P-Trap. The distance between the center of the overflow pipe and the center of the trap pipe is 7".

It is set up so that the 7" to the tub is approx 1 1/2" higher than the pipe on the other side of the trap heading to the main stack, which has a fall greater than 1/4" per foot. I haven't measured it specifically, but it's quite the slope. Looks more like 3/4" per foot.

I haven't touched it yet. Done more "hmmm'ing" and "haaah'ing" about it than anything else since I finished replacing the Toilet and Lav drains on the other side of the bathroom. If I do have to change it, I'll have to change the hot and cold water supply to the shower, as they're right in the way. When it rains... no? ;)

Carnaby

Reaction score
Well, I decided I wasn't comfortable with the drain, and so now I'm finally gluing the pieces together. Just taking a break cause my knees are killing me lol. Lots of great information on this site, I must say.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks