Proper treatment of disconnected circuit

Users who are viewing this thread

Rousifier

Reaction score
We have a gas stove on 120v and, in the interests of preserving for a future owner, have left the 240v electrical range plug hooked up and functional behind the stove. Now, we're thinking we're going to be here a while and would like to make use of both legs of that hookup. How does one properly deal with the disconnected wires? Wire nut them and label and leave them in the box? Turn them, tape them, label them and leave them outside the box? Mix em up, solder 'em together and leave an internet surveillance camera in the room to view their reaction when the flash takes place? Want to do the best by future owners, but hesitant to waste the entertainment opportunity :). No, seriously...,

Tks

R.

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If I am understanding correctly, you want to use the spaces in the main panel that the range circuit is currently connected to. This will require you to replace the breaker also.

I like to keep things neat and clean, so I would remove the wires from the main panel and put them in a labeled junction box outside and adjacent to the panel so the connection could be easily restored later if need be.

A new range connection requires 4 conductors for a grounded receptacle, so if the current cable is 3-conductor NM, I would remove it entirely.

Last edited:

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
Well, Rousifier, you really need to explain more, because you wrote several contradictory statements, and its a guess as to what you meant.
It's always acceptable to leave capped wires in a proper, covered electrical box. Depending on what they are, the old oven wires may not
be suitable for any other use.

Jbfan74

Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Remove the wires from the breaker, place wire nuts on them and push them out of the way.
Remove the breaker in question, and install the new circuits you want.
Leave the old breaker inside the panel.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
We have a gas stove on 120v and, in the interests of preserving for a future owner, have left the 240v electrical range plug hooked up and functional behind the stove. Now, we're thinking we're going to be here a while and would like to make use of both legs of that hookup. How does one properly deal with the disconnected wires?
By making the statement, “future owner” tells me that you are not planning on being there for too long. In that case I would not do anything to the circuit and leave it in tack. Who knows you might decide to change the range and need it yourself.

Wire nut them and label and leave them in the box? Turn them, tape them, label them and leave them outside the box?
Either would be fine
Mix em up, solder 'em together and leave an internet surveillance camera in the room to view their reaction when the flash takes place? Want to do the best by future owners, but hesitant to waste the entertainment opportunity :)
If you decide to do this please post it on youtube so we all can see, ha, ha, ha.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks