Proper Tank to Bowl Gasket on old Toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Nicholas440

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I have an old toilet from the 1960 era, and the tag in the tank says Sears Roebuck and shows a diagram of the Tilt Flusher and how to adjust it. My problem is a bolt on one side that holds the tank to bowl is dripping occasionally, and I think from what I searched that this toilet was made by Universal Rundle ? Im not sure, but it's a 2 bolt tank. My question is could the bolt be leaking due to a worn rubber washer under it in the tank, or could it be the gasket between tank and bowl? Only one bolt drips, so I looked up how to pick the right size tank to bowl gasket, and it said to go into the tank and measure the opening of the flush tube, and I measure about 2 1/8 inches diameter. The youtube video said there are 2 inch and 3 inch gaskets, if it's a 2 inch or so hole buy a 2 inch gasket. So I got a 2 inch kit from Ace Hardware, I believe it's a Fluidmaster, but I have not put it on yet because I've seen that there are some " Odd" toilets out there with non standard gaskets? Can someone tell me if this is a Universal Rundle and if so would a basic 2 inch rubber gasket fit between tank and bowl? I also bought new brass bolts. I've replaced all the inside components many years ago and I think at that time I ordered a Tilt Flusher valve from Sears and I did put it in but thats been about 20 years. The bolts appear to be in great shape and I've not bothered them yet. I had to put off repairing it because I've had open heart surgery about 6 months ago but I'm good to go now and I dont think the tank is that heavy if I remember from removing it many years ago. Thank you all in advance, we plan on replacing the toilet sometime this year with a more economical one but this one works so well I felt it's worth fixing it up.

sears-toilet-01.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks