Proper sealant for unthreaded pipes with no slip nut

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff Landry

Reaction score
Hello all,

I had to replace a bathroom sink drain and now there is one small leak where the drain pipe connects to an extension tailpiece. There was no slip nut or gasket there before, but some kind of sealant appears to have been used where the one pipe fits into the flared top of the extension. Should there be a sealant there or if not how can I stop the leak?

Thanks.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If it is a "slip connecion" rather than a "slip nut joint" then it was supposed to be soldered or glued, depending on the material, to the tailpiece.

Jeff Landry

Reaction score
Sorry, I obviously left out some pretty important information. I will try to insert a photo here. There are two of these connections where a pipe connects to the flared end of the next extension and I have inserted an arrow pointing to the one that leaks -- I don't know if these are called slip connections.

If it's glue I need, any advice on what types I could use would be helpful. As I said, you can see there was some kind of glue, putty or sealant on those two connections before.

img20120610141724d.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It IS a "slip connection" and since it is brass, you would have to file the chrome plating off the top edge and INSIDE the "flare", and also off the tailpiece that goes inside it. Then you would solder the two pieces together. For YOU, it would be better to buy extensions with slip nuts on them.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your photo doesn't show a P trap. Are you sure you have a proper drain configuration? That tail piece looks awfully long to me, but maybe there is something we can't see in the photo. A typical drain would have a P trap just below the sink and connected to the drain in the wall. I would appear that if there is a trap, it may be below the floor which is illegal.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would take it back apart and reassemble it. The “J” bend on the P-trap is backwards. The short side should go toward the wall and the long side up to the sink. Also it looks like you have longer sections of the slip joints and I would put a long section into the P-trap and that may also help prevent it from leaking. I included a link of similar parts showing slip joint compression nuts and threaded sections.

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/tubularparts.html#chromeptraps

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks