Proper laundry standpipe vent installation + concealed outlet box:

Users who are viewing this thread

studio460

Reaction score
Here's our half-demo'd laundry area in mid-DIY mode. We're planning 7.5 linear feet of of Ikea countertop in this space, which will cover a 33.5"-high, under-counter LG washer/dryer, plus a row of Ikea base cabinets (15" + 24" + 24"), built to standard counter-height (36"). Here's what I'm planning, plumbing-wise:

1. Lower outlet box to conceal behind 36"-high counter-top and base cabinets.
2. Replace existing trap and standpipe.
3. Replace standard 'T' with sanitary 'T.'
4. Re-plumb to existing vent lines.

Note that I'm not doing the plumbing work myself, I just want to confirm the correct way to do this before I hire the plumber.

lroom1.jpg

Here's a close-up of the existing trap:

ltrap1.jpg

The drain outlet hose for the LG washer/dryer is only 15" tall. I was planning for the plumber to install a new ABS trap at 8" above the floor, then extend the opening of the standpipe receptor at 26", which would still allow us enough room to conceal the outlet box below the 36"-high, standard counter-height. I was planning to have the plumber insert a 2" rubber fitting into the 2" cast-iron drain flange (which is embedded into the concrete slab), which seems a much better install than cutting off the flange and using just a no-hub coupler (this is what I used in the bathroom drain). To summarize:

1. LG washer outlet height: 15" above the floor.
2. New trap height: 8" above floor.
3. New standpipe receptor height: 26" above the floor (18" above trap).
4. Maximum height of the top of the outlet box: 36" (i.e., counter-height).

Questions:

A. The washer/dryer we've chosen (LG 2.3 cubic-foot combination washer/dryer model: WM3455HW) uses a ventless condenser dryer. During its drying cycle, frequent water-evacuation purges occur (about once every 20 seconds), creating a "drain-burping" sound at each occurrence. So, I was wondering--why are all laundry standpipe drains of an "open" design--where the washer's hose is simply dropped into the standpipe receptor? Is there a "closed" design which would better assist in dampening the sound of the "drain-burp?" I assume not, since this design provides a presumably, necessary air-gap. However, is the product shown below something which would result in a "cleaner" (but not necessarily, "quieter") install?

1878.jpg

Last edited:

studio460

Reaction score
B. I found the photo below on another thread here. Although we don't have room for a laundry sink, and PEX isn't allowed in our area, is this the venting design we should emulate for our washer standpipe?

washer_rough_b.jpg

Note that we have an existing vertical, galvanized vent, similar in position to the one shown in the above photo. I plan to have the plumber cut into the existing vertical, galvanized vent, and insert no-hub couplers to connect to new ABS sanitary-Ts, trap, and standpipe, to match the configuration as shown (assuming this is correct).

Thanks for any replies!

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks