Proper install for refrigerator water line

Users who are viewing this thread

Susan Aumack

Reaction score
I'm a homeowner in the midst of a major remodel. I have a plumbing question. I'm not at all knowledgeable about the right valves and water lines and hook ups. My contractor installed a plastic (looks like plastic) water line where the refrigerator will go. When the appliance delivery and installation men arrived they looked at what was there and said they couldn't install it. (see attached pics) They gave me a bag with a silver braided hose and said something about the plastic was too big and didn't have a valve. I called my contractor who said the plastic was fine and they were just being difficult. I'm seriously about to cry. Is the contractor just taking short cuts? Are the delivery/install guys just being difficult? Either way I have appliances that are sitting in my living room and aren't installed! So here are my questions. What is the proper installation for a water line into the refrigerator? Plastic or Copper? What kind of valve should it have? I have hardwood floors which type of line is better with regards to leaks (or not leaking)? Should I put a liner or tray under the refrigerator like they sometimes do for washers? Do they even make them? Any help/additional perspective you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_2187.JPG
    IMG_2187.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 4,324
  • IMG_2186.JPG
    IMG_2186.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 2,047
  • 13319783_10208775669363395_1374895574190819891_n.jpg
    13319783_10208775669363395_1374895574190819891_n.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 2,748

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
It hard to tell if it is PEX and it is good but it also looks like polyethylene tubing. You do not want that in the walls. The days of just laying pipe out the wall for the refrigerator is out dated and more prone to leaks. Behind the walls it must be PEX or copper and a wall box with a value.
The delivery guys were probably looking for this type of connection but in older homes there be an in line shut off valve. Either way for the hook up there be a threaded connection or a compression fitting. From the picture the recessed box looks like an electrical box but I'm not sure. For a remodel only settle for an outlet box as shone at this Home Depot link and PEX or copper behind the wall.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-I2K-Icemaker-Outlet-Box-1-4-Turn-39130/202078128

My son bought a house that had a remolded kitchen a few years old. One day the polyethylene tubing burst behind the wall. This tubing is still sold as an ice maker kit but for exposed runs, not behind walls.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
I second what WorthFlorida said. PEX (looks like plastic but isn't) or copper behind the wall, terminating at a shutoff valve. Then from the shutoff valve to refrigerator you can use the plastic or braided line that came with the refrigerator. You don't want a pan under the refrigerator because you need to be able to roll it out so you can clean behind it and periodically clean the refrigerator coils.

Here is a link to more "Ice Maker Outlet boxes" http://www.supplyhouse.com/Ice-Maker-Outlet-Boxes-15332000
It's not required that you use one of these, but it is desirable.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
It looks to me that your contractor is at fault, not the delivery guys.

1. Don't trust this plastic tube inside the wall. Your contractor should know better. I use copper only.
2, As mentioned, you need a stop valve with 1/4" outlet, at the wall.
3. From the stop valve to the fridge, you can use the kit they left you.

Susan Aumack

Reaction score
It looks to me that your contractor is at fault, not the delivery guys.

1. Don't trust this plastic tube inside the wall. Your contractor should know better. I use copper only.
2, As mentioned, you need a stop valve with 1/4" outlet, at the wall.
3. From the stop valve to the fridge, you can use the kit they left you.

Thank you ... this is very helpful

Susan Aumack

Reaction score
I second what WorthFlorida said. PEX (looks like plastic but isn't) or copper behind the wall, terminating at a shutoff valve. Then from the shutoff valve to refrigerator you can use the plastic or braided line that came with the refrigerator. You don't want a pan under the refrigerator because you need to be able to roll it out so you can clean behind it and periodically clean the refrigerator coils.

Here is a link to more "Ice Maker Outlet boxes" http://www.supplyhouse.com/Ice-Maker-Outlet-Boxes-15332000

Thanks! I appreciate the advice!

Susan Aumack

Reaction score

It hard to tell if it is PEX and it is good but it also looks like polyethylene tubing. You do not want that in the walls. The days of just laying pipe out the wall for the refrigerator is out dated and more prone to leaks. Behind the walls it must be PEX or copper and a wall box with a value.
The delivery guys were probably looking for this type of connection but in older homes there be an in line shut off valve. Either way for the hook up there be a threaded connection or a compression fitting. From the picture the recessed box looks like an electrical box but I'm not sure. For a remodel only settle for an outlet box as shone at this Home Depot link and PEX or copper behind the wall.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-I2K-Icemaker-Outlet-Box-1-4-Turn-39130/202078128

My son bought a house that had a remolded kitchen a few years old. One day the polyethylene tubing burst behind the wall. This tubing is still sold as an ice maker kit but for exposed runs, not behind walls.

Thanks a million!

Reach4

Reaction score
You should not feed reverse osmosis water through copper. So if you were going to feed the fridge with RO water in the future, the PEX would be the thing to use. You probably were not planning to do that.

Susan Aumack

Reaction score
You should not feed reverse osmosis water through copper. So if you were going to feed the fridge with RO water in the future, the PEX would be the thing to use. You probably were not planning to do that.

So I checked and the line coming out of the wall is PEX. I have no idea what RO is but sounds like it will be ok since the PEX is there. My refrigerator just has an ice maker. I opted to NOT go with the one with the water dispenser. Thanks so much for your help!

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
What do you mean it isn't a plastic?
Bad choice of terms on my part. I was trying to distinguish between the cheap "milky white polyethylene" tubing that comes with refrigerators (which should not be in the wall) the high quality PEX tubing (which is okay for installation in the wall).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks