Proper fitting to connect to main...Fernco?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Therefore, it is a drain, and cannot be used to vent that new thing you ran into it.

J Blow

Reaction score
I'm confused. I added a drain for a bar sink to the pictured vertical pipe. The vent comes off the top of the bar sink drain. The vent ties into the other vent lines in the basement.

J Blow

Reaction score
I think it would be called a separate vent. At the sink, the fitting has 3 openings - one goes to sink, one goes to main stack in picture, and one goes up that eventually ties into my other vent lines.

Thanks.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
As long as the vent you are connected to is a dry vent (not a drain for another fixture), they can be tied together, no less than 42" above the floor, or 6" above the flood rim of the highest connected fixture, whichever is higher.

J Blow

Reaction score
Hmmm..I started with stub outs in a basement. A toilet, a lav drain stub, and a box in the floor for a tub drain...plus a stub hanging down from ceiling for venting. The tub drain box on the floor had a stub coming out of the concrete close to it that I'm sure was for venting. I put a p-trap in the box, and ran the vent pipe to the stub from the ceiling. I also tied the lav drain fitting coming from the top of it into the vent pipe. Finally, the bar sink draining into the main stack has a vent from the top of the drain fitting that ties into the vent coming from the tub which eventually goes to vent.

J Blow

Reaction score
Pictures easier to explain.

I believe the drain on the left of the picture dumps into the same line the toilet does that comes from behind it...maybe the same line and it's a wet vent for the toiler. Not sure since it's in concrete. The vent is obvious.
This is the top of the picture above. You can barely see the stub on the right where the vent goes into the ceiling.

The stub from the ceiling joins the lav in the picture above (that comes from the right) and then goes to the left and 90s towards the shower...picture coming.
This picture is downline from the picture above. If you look at the ceiling stub, go left and around the 90, you'll head straight up this line. The line on the right vents the shower, the fitting splits off to the bar sink. The next picture is the shower.
The vent from the floor comes up next to box in the floor with a p-trap in it. I'm sure it's the vent. The picture above is the side view of this. This vent goes up and takes a left. Soon it splits off to the bar sink (pictured above) and continues back to the vent stub from the ceiling in the second (and third )picture.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
I am thinking you will want to add a strap to secure that shower vent, but I am not sure.

J Blow

Reaction score
I cannot tell for sure that all of the vents are pitched to drain, but it looks like a good installation.

I was a little unsure how to pitch the vent so decided the best route was to angle towards the clear drain from the stub going to roof since that's where water will come in. Everything beyond that slopes back towards the drain.

I'll strap the shower vent just to be safe.

Thanks, all.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Looking back at the shower, I don't know what your plan isbut I would be adding a lot of blocking to the framing. A good shower can host slamdancing without any issues.

J Blow

Reaction score
I'm going to add in a few more 2x4s in various locations. I'm using those to anchor duroc to so I have something solid to tile on.

Reach4

Reaction score
Looking back at the shower, I don't know what your plan isbut I would be adding a lot of blocking to the framing. A good shower can host slamdancing without any issues.
And while it it open, you may want to leave provision for grab bars by putting wood at known spots to make anchoring easier later. Maybe you want to put one in now. If you position it horizontally, it can double as a towel bar.

Less strong are "hold bars". They look more like regular towel bars.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks