proper cemennt/primer for CPVC on WH T&P

Users who are viewing this thread

Rao

Reaction score
a) I see several types of cpvc cement. yelow, Orange, clear

Anyone know the code complaint proper cement or cement/and primer for CPVC on WH T&P (not in potable system, but high temp).?

b) Also I bought 3/4 cpvc, a bunch of 45 degree connectors, and cut and dry fit everything fo my t&P. I noticed that the 3/4 cpvc is considerably smaller inner diameter than 3/4 pvc. so I decided to google. I find cat fights among inspectors over it: http://www.iccsafe.org/iccforums/Pages/default.aspx?action=ViewPosts&fid=9&tid=3879&page=5

Does anyone know if any authority actually definitively clarified this about 3/4 size cpvc on a T&P?

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
TEchnically, since the code specifies that the discharge pipe has to be "full size" for its entire length, CPVC, or any other cts plastic, is not compliant because its i.d. is reduced. ( We cannot even use corrugated water connections for that same reason.) But as a practical matter, the discharge line is not under pressure so almost anything will work to glue it together.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think it's a general rule of thumb that CPVC size is one size smaller than copper. In other words, 3/4" CPVC = 1/2" copper. May not be perfect math, but close. I do agree that CPVC sucks. For a T/P drain, this is a rare place where 3/4" galvanized pipe would be useful. You can buy pieces cut and threaded for what you need. Screw them together with channel lock pliers if you don't own a pipe wrench and be done with it. It will almost never have water in it so it will not rust or corrode like water piping.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks