programing a fleck 5600 sxt 24K grain

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, problems, installation and r' started by love2byke, Apr 9, 2013.

1. love2byke

love2byke New Member

I've purchased and installed this softener but need help with the programing. I'm on city water rated at 8 for hardness, 2 people in the household and no other outside water demands. Can someone recommend the settings? Greatly appreciated.
  2. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

The people that you bought the unit from should tell you how to program the valve and what data to use.

Who did you buy it from? What control valve do you have?
  3. Mikey

Mikey Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek

If you Google "Fleck 5600 Manual" you'll find several sources for information, including setup instructions.
  4. Gary Slusser

I see I missed what control he has... anyway, the manual will only show example data.
  5. love2byke

love2byke New Member

Control Settings

Just to clarify, I have the manual and can see how to setup the controller. My question is more around what to set all the parameters to in order to optimize efficiency (timing of cycles, setting reserve, etc.)

Here are the spec's I could find for my application:
    Fleck 5600SXT electronic metered
    24,000 grains capacity (0.75 cubic feet) 7" x 44" resin tank.
    Hardness: 158-170mg/L or 10 grains per gallon.
    TDS: 204 mg/L
    Resin: Standard 7% (Dow)
    Rated flow rate is 12 gpm at 15 psi drop.
    City water from 2 city wells.
    The official 'water report' from West Jordan Utah, where I live does not list the PH level, nor does it list iron/manganese content: http://www.sjc.utah.gov/pdf/waterqualityreport2011.pdf

Thanks
  6. mialynette2003

mialynette2003 Member

You might want to set it up like this:
    Capacity (C): 24.0 x 1000
    Water Hardness (H): 8
    Safety Factor (SF): 10%
    Day Override (DO): 14 days
    Backwash (BW) Default or around 8 min
    Brine Draw (BD) Default or around 50 min
    Rapid Rinse (RR) Default or around 10 min
    Brine Fill (BF) Depends on what BLFC you have but should be salted at 5 lbs
  7. Gary Slusser

Love2, a .75 cuft uses an 8"x 44" tank and has a constant SFR of 6.75 gpm. That fits very few houses or families.

You can not get 24K with 5 lbs of salt, If you did, that would be a salt efficiency of 4800 grains per lb. That won't be happening.

It takes 15 lbs to get 30K out of 1 cuft and that is an efficiency of 2000 grains/lb. It will take 12 lbs to get 24K out of 3/4 cuft with the same efficiency.