Problems with Wellmate SP-series pressure tanks?

Users who are viewing this thread

wbnethery3

Reaction score
Folks,

In a different thread I posted a problem I had which was ultimately caused by failure of our pressure tank. We had a Pentair Wellmate SP-series tank which failed after 5.5 years, and only had a 5 year manufacturer's warranty. Just wondered if there were others who have any information on manufacturing defects in this product line and whether there was any compensation being offered for those whose tanks failed. It was a real surprise to me and I am accustomed to Pentair making a high quality product (we have their equipment for our pool).

Please let me know via reply or private message.

Thanks,
Bryan

VAWellDriller

Reaction score
I install Wellmate WM series and HP series tanks and have had 1 or 2 fail in the last 5 years...out of hundreds. I think they are great, however I have never installed one from the side port series. You mentioned the tank was waterlogged in the thread, and that it caused short cycling and was bringing up debris (actually it was surge developing the well). That tank has no bladder, it was waterlogged becasue some other part of the system failed. This system MUST have some device to add air to the tank, either a bleeder in the drop pipe or a micronizer before the tank. Either method can fail, and the air level needs to be periodically checked...... I wonder if it ran for a long time in a waterlogged state, with no cushion, that all the shock contributed to it's failure. The air also greatly helps remove sulphur smell, no air explains why you started smelling it again. You need to make sure that this replacement tank is being fed some air before it becomes waterlogged again.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The short cycling could have led to the tank's demise. Sounds like a failed bleeder or snifter valve. Maybe someone thought it was good idea to put a tire valve cap on the snifter.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks