Problems with my deep well

Users who are viewing this thread

robbsclassics

Reaction score
I have a 2 pipe deep well jet pump that won't work. It is a Read Jacket pump. There is a sticker on it that says 1979, so I think its over 30 years old. The problem I have is it is not pumping any water. The power was off for about a week. I did not need to prime the pump at all, started pumping fine for about 2 weeks. I noticed that it kept running so adjusted the pressure down a little, the next day same thing, adjusted the pressure down a little more. The next morning there was no water pressure, and the pump was dry. I shut it off, but I have no idea if it was dry for 5 min or 5 hours. I tried priming it, and it did nothing. I poured about 7gal into the pump over the course of a few hours, gave up and tried the next day. When I was priming the pump it would bubble while running, but never started to pump. I think I need a new pump, but would a foot valve cause that too? How can I test the pump and the foot valve? The problem with that is I have no clue where the well is. The previous owner said it was "Over there in the woods somewhere", but it is buried and was put in maybe 1949-1979. I know the well has water because there is an artesian well that is still running a few hundred yards from my house. I do have water, but I have to walk a ways to get it, so I would like to get it fixed.

WellWaterProducts

In the trades
Reaction score
There are many variables here but my gut feeling is that something is misbehaving in the well. If that's the case, then consider a submersible.

I have a 2 pipe deep well jet pump that won't work. It is a Read Jacket pump. There is a sticker on it that says 1979, so I think its over 30 years old. The problem I have is it is not pumping any water. The power was off for about a week. I did not need to prime the pump at all, started pumping fine for about 2 weeks. I noticed that it kept running so adjusted the pressure down a little, the next day same thing, adjusted the pressure down a little more. The next morning there was no water pressure, and the pump was dry. I shut it off, but I have no idea if it was dry for 5 min or 5 hours. I tried priming it, and it did nothing. I poured about 7gal into the pump over the course of a few hours, gave up and tried the next day. When I was priming the pump it would bubble while running, but never started to pump. I think I need a new pump, but would a foot valve cause that too? How can I test the pump and the foot valve? The problem with that is I have no clue where the well is. The previous owner said it was "Over there in the woods somewhere", but it is buried and was put in maybe 1949-1979. I know the well has water because there is an artesian well that is still running a few hundred yards from my house. I do have water, but I have to walk a ways to get it, so I would like to get it fixed.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
How can I test the pump and the foot valve? The problem with that is I have no clue where the well is. The previous owner said it was "Over there in the woods somewhere", but it is buried and was put in maybe 1949-1979. I know the well has water because there is an artesian well that is still running a few hundred yards from my house.
If the foot valve is holding, you would not be losing water to the well. A pressure test would confirm it.

If the water table is such that there is a running artesian well, it didn't need to be setup as a two pipe deep well pump. Anyway... it's time you figured out where the well is if ever you need to get into it. If you do put in a submersible, you will need to trench in the cable so just follow the pipes to the well if they are not buried too deep.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks