Problems removing a bathtub spout

Users who are viewing this thread

namrono6

Reaction score
I have a Symmons Temptrol in my bath that is about 12 years old. I would like to replace it but I cannot back the old one out, probably due to corrosion. Is there a trick to this or an I stuck to carefully cutting it out? I haven't put a lot of force on the old spout as I don't want to break the plumbing. Any advice would be helpful.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Most tub spouts either unscrew or pull out. If it pulls out, you have to find a set screw under the spout and loosen it with the correct allen wrench. If it still doesn't back out, try spraying some wd-40 or PB blaster to loosen it up.

namrono6

Reaction score
Trying heat

This is a threaded type with a copper threaded nipple sweated to 1/2 inch copper tubing. I have been since told that a litle heat with a torch and a little turning with a small wrench should break the corrosion. I'll get back with the results.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm not sure how using a small wrench could work. Usually, you need to wrap the spout with a rag and use a big old channel locks to unscrew it. Make sure it isn't caulked in place. If it is, use a razor knife and remove the caulk.

namrono6

Reaction score
The Solution

I was replacing the spout so cosmetic damage to the old spout was not an issue. Simply applying a little heat with a torch broke the corrosion - man, there was a lot of corrosion after 12 years of use - and a little pressure with a 10" pipe wrench and the old spout came right out with no damage to the plumbing. I installed the new spout with hand pressure so as not to over-tighten but still insuring a nice tight fit to the tiled wall. By using hand pressure I also didn't have to be concerned with marring the new spout. Thanks to everyone who gave their input and I hope this helps out anyone else that has this issue and wants to save on plumber's costs. They have enough more complicated work anyway.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks