Problems after new pressure tank installation.

Users who are viewing this thread

tjz123

Reaction score
I have a 1/2 hp Wayne shallow-well jet pump and the galvinized pressure tank was leaking. I installed a new tank with a bladder in it with a flotec tee. I installed a pressure gauge and valve on the tee and plugged the other two orifices. I connected the water line from the pressure switch to the front of the jet pump. Switch is 30/50 and I set the pressure tank to 28 psi.
I am now getting alot of air in my water lines. Constant spitting and almost no pressure if a toilet is flushed while using another faucet. Water pressure is sporatic and lower than with the galvanized tank. Getting ocassional higher pitched whiney noise when hot water is running in the second floor bathroom tub. My question is: Should I have connected the line from the switch to the tee instead of the front of jet pump? The pump really seems to thump when it kicks off. Any other advice would be welcome.
Thanks,
Tom

Last edited:

Speedbump

Reaction score
I'm not sure what happened when you plugged the switch into the front of the pump unless you plugged it into a vacuum port. This would tell the switch there is no pressure all the time the pump is pulling vacuum.The switch should be connected to the pressure of the pump, or at the tank.

You could also have an air leak somewhere. I would need more info to go any further.

bob...

Pumpman

Pump Sales
Reaction score
I'm thinking that you may have the pressure sensing line plumbed to the front of the pump where the switch is actually seeing suction vacuum rather than pump pressure. Try moving the sensing line to the tee and see what happens.
Ron

tjz123

Reaction score
Another Question

Thanks for the input. The manufacturer-supplied switch came mounted on the side of the pump motor. Should I mount it directly onto the tee?
Tom

Last edited:

Pumpman

Pump Sales
Reaction score
Speedbump- you must be just a tad faster than me...(-:
Normally, if the switch came mounted on the pump motor, it's normally already tubed up to the pump head. If it wasn't go ahead and tube it in near the tank.
Ron

Speedbump

Reaction score
It doesn't matter where the switch is mounted.

What matters is where you install the line coming from the bottom of the switch.

bob...

tjz123

Reaction score
continued.....

So all I need to do is connect the line from the switch to the tee? Since I have a bladder tank I won"t need to have an air-elimination valve? So just put a plug in the jet pump head? should the wires from the switch to the pump be enclosed in flexible conduit?:confused:
Thanks,
Tom

Speedbump

Reaction score
I would think the tank tee would be a good place. I'm sure there is a tap on the pump that will work too, but not being able to see the pump I can't tell you where it is.

Yes the wires should be in conduit. Especially if you have kids, dogs, cats things with teeth etc.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks