Problem with water suction

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by kevin102, Feb 6, 2013.

1. kevin102

kevin102 New Member

scan0001.jpg

Hi all,

Anyone see the problem here! I have tried everything but nothing seems to work. Maybe the pump is not strong enough?

Thanks,

Kevin :eek:
  2. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

Maybe a silly question, but did you prime it?
  3. kevin102

kevin102 New Member

Yes Primed it several times, even went as far to add a ballcock valve at center of hose where a garden hose could be attached and water pushed through the pipe until primer at pump was overflowing. when we switched pump on it sucked for a bit but then nothing!
  4. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

If there are any joints on the suction side I would start there. Any air/suction leak will do it.
  5. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

Use a submersible and you will never have priming issues or a pump not strong enough.
  6. kevin102

kevin102 New Member

Thanks cacher_chick, I think I may have spotted a suction leak at the pump itself! cheap china plastic intake nozzle grrrr ;) I'll call into the local fittings store and buy a brass nozzle instead.
  7. kevin102

kevin102 New Member

Yes LLigetfa, I soon realized I made a huge blunder in my purchase of this type of pump, submersible is they way to go :p