Problem with valves

Users who are viewing this thread

dougle

Reaction score
Just finished my install of 4 zones run off a shallow well. 3/4hp jet pump with a pump relay hooked up to my nelson controller. Has been working great for the past week. Now zones 3 and 4, the valves don't open (rain Pro 8410t jar top valves). I've checked at the controller and each zone gives off 24 volts (when the controller send the voltage). At the manifold (50' away) both zone 3 and 4 have power and i can hear the solenoids. I've taken apart the valves and nothing is restricting them. When the solenoid is activated if I manually open the valve a bit then close it the solenoid seems to hold open the valve. valves 1 and 2 work perfectly. i can't figure out what is going on. everything is brand new. thanks

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Did you check the ground wire? This is usually linked from valve to valve and you may have lost the connection after #2 valve.

dougle

Reaction score
Thanks Gary, no the solenoid fires and retracts into the body of the solenoid when 24v comes from the controller. As I understand it when the solenoid engages it allows water to flow down the small stainless tube to the bottom chamber of the valve which then releases the diaphram and water flows. I can't for the life of me figure out why sometimes the valve opens and sometimes not. When the pump is sending water and the valve has not automatically opened I can break the pressure difference by manually opening the valve then closing it and the solenoid keeps it open. I'm stuck

Mr_Pike

Reaction score
Do you have a pressure gauge anywhere in the system?

Some valves have a minimum PSI requirement for opening. Sounds a bit like what you are experiencing.

Grasping at straws here without being there, but is your well possible putting out less water once it gets to zones 3 and 4?

dougle

Reaction score
Thanks, PSI from pump is 42psi. I'm pretty sure water flow/volume is not the problem. Is it possible for the voltage drop to not cause the plunger it retract with enough force inside the solenoid? I mean it sortof humms and if i disengage the solenoid from the valve body it retracts but I can't tell if it does so with the water pressure. What would be the minimum voltage to cause the plunger inside the solenoid to activate? 20 Volts? The thing is that these 2 valves work episodically and i can't trust them to come on at 5am, I would burn out my pump with no water flow for 20 min x 2 valves. thanks

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
Can either zone 3 or 4 be manually started from the controller, as the very first use of sprinklers? (well isn't drawn down)

dougle

Reaction score
Good idea, but tried that. No, it made no difference. I really think it is a problem with the valves or something inside them or some adjustment. they work just fine when i manually open the valve. i'm stumped.

dougle

Reaction score
I can hear the solenoid buzzing and if i give it a slight tap the valve comes on. These are brand new valves. Suggestions other than the obvious of change the solenoids? thanks

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
Are the valves threaded or glued into place. You can always start swapping the valve internals and/or solenoids. And you do have a spare valve for parts, don't you?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks