Problem with hot water tap in shower vibrating and water sputtering

Users who are viewing this thread

philb

Reaction score
I've searched all the forums I can find to see if I can identify my problem and fix it but haven't had any luck so I thought I'd try posting to see if someone out there can help
smile.gif

I live in a 2 story town house and the shower is upstairs. Whenever the hot water is turned on to a slow flow I get a constant shuddering sound behind the tap and the water spits out in a regular machine gun like flow. If I turn up the flow it runs smoothly. The cold water is not effected at all.

We have quite high water pressure and from what I've read that could be the problem. Here are a few things that I have tried/discovered.

When I start the shower vibrating then turn on the hot water at the sink next to it the vibrating stops. While I'm turning on the sink tap I can actually feel the vibrations coming though it :/

I've turned off the water flowing into the hot water system then run the shower until the water runs out but this hasn't helped.

I've also turned down the flow of water into the hot water system but I can't see a way to control the flow coming out.

I took the handle and flange of the tap to see if I could see anything but the spindle goes through the wall and is sealed with silicon so I couldn't see in behind it.

The house and plumbing is about 15-20 years old.

Can any one help me with this problem?

Thanks
smile.gif

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Normally that would be a loose washer on the hot side fo the shower.
The vibration is caused by the rubber fluttering. You should be able to pull the stem, run it down to a hardware store, and get a replacement washer or stem.
You will need to turn water off first.

Reach4

Reaction score
We have quite high water pressure and from what I've read that could be the problem.
You might want to get a water pressure gauge just to see what the pressure is. They sell inexpensive units with a garden hose thread. I doubt that is your problem, but it is easy to know what your water pressure is.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks