Problem with broken tub spout

Users who are viewing this thread

zed

Reaction score
Hi, total gnooblar here begging for advice (so what's new, eh? :rolleyes: ). Last night I was taking a shower and when I pushed down on the switch (the diverter?), the tub spout popped loose from its caulk about halfway. Nothing else seemed to be wrong with it and I planned on re-caulking it today, but this morning when my fiance started taking a shower a pretty bad leak started. It was leaking behind the wall, I guess, since all she noticed was a drop in pressure in the shower - but I noticed plenty of water coming through the ceiling (it's a second-story bathroom, you probably just figured out) into the kitchen below. :( I may have fixed one of the faucets a few months ago but I really have no idea what to do with this, and we're about to call in a pro. Any idea what's going on back there (what could have popped loose) or a ballpark figure on what it'll cost? I just need to know if I need to go buy a house so I can mortgage it to pay for the plumbing repair... :D Thanks everyone!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The plumbing could be galvanized. The nipple could have rusted out ( this is the piece of pipe that comes from the elbow in the wall out the wall that the tub spout connects to. Depending on what is in the wall, and its condition, it could be easy or nasty to repair. You'll need to take some things apart in order to find out what really is the problem. Do you have access to the plumbing from say a closet so you don't have to tear up the wall in the shower?

zed

Reaction score
Crud...

I wish it did, but there's no way back there except through the tile. I'm guessing it's going to be more nasty than nice to have fixed, now. :( Thanks for the hint though - I guess all I can do is wait and see what the guy with the tool belt says...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks