Problem with a driven well

Users who are viewing this thread

tinkma

Reaction score
Hello,
I drove a 1.25" well point down 36 feet. The water level was at 12 feet. I have a 1hp pump with a tank. The water that came out was just a trickle. After a two month drought, I just checked the water level again and it is 10 feet so I know that there is plenty of water down there. Again I ran the pump and there is still just a trickle.
I don't know what to do. Could it be a pump issue? Could it be a sand point issue? Or could the depth be a problem? Any suggestions will be very helpful.
20160815_170715.jpg

ThirdGenPump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Take apart it apart at the ball valve and see if you can fill up the pipe for the point with water. If the pipe fills up your point is shot.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Another way to say what ThirdGen is saying, is that a well that won't take water, won't make water. So if you pour water down the well and if just fills to the top, the point is probably clogged.

tinkma

Reaction score
Thank you all for your replies. I'm going to assume that it is clogged and I am going to try pouring a bunch of vinegar down there. (I read it in one of the forums) Does any one have any experience with this? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

ThirdGenPump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thank you all for your replies. I'm going to assume that it is clogged and I am going to try pouring a bunch of vinegar down there. (I read it in one of the forums) Does any one have any experience with this? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

You can try, doubt it will help. It's normally not hardness that plugs them up in our area, it's sand. Sometimes you can buy more time by blasting it with an air compressor.

tinkma

Reaction score
Since the pipe was blocked, I decided to pull it up about 6 inches. I put a hose down there and a bunch of sand came up before the water kept flowing through the pipe with no blockage. It drank up all the water I could pour into it. Great sign. My problem is now, the way I calculate it, there is 6 to 7 feet of sand trapped in the bottom of the well. I think this because when I stick a pipe down there, the well depth is only 30' instead of the 36' that I know it is. I can hear sand when I wiggle the pipe down there. If I run a hose at the same time, I can get the pipe down the whole 36' . ( I think that the water disturbs the sand and the pipe is able to go through it.) Once I turn off the water it gets encased in sand again.
I have about 6' of water but still can't pull it up.
Does anyone know what I can do?
Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
See
starting at about 4 minutes in.

MI Well Drilling

Oh well !
Reaction score
Your pipe must have broken while pounding it down. Sounds like you could pull out what will come out and try going down to the 30th depth. I always use electric aka black tape on the threads of the pipe as if using Teflon. Always tighten the pipe as much as you can and never try spinning it while pounding. It's taking good water where its broke at 30 I'd try that. Good luck

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks