Problem installing drain in Maax shower kit.

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Sterling, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Sterling

Sterling New Member

I purchased a Maax ABS shower kit and it includes a "Wedge-lock no-caulk" drain assembly. The instructions indicate that the drain pipe needs to be 1/2" below the bottom of the base. The problem is that the bottom of the base at the drain hole measures only 1/4" to the concrete basement floor. I have already chiseled out a 5" diameter, 2" inch deep trench in the concrete around the drain pipe to accomodate the drain assembly. But how can I cut the ABS drain pipe 1/4" below the level of the floor?
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

All things are possible, some just take more time and money than others.

Normally, when installing a shower drain, I have the concrete knocked out around the drain, a fairly good hole. This allows me to use a small saw, or maybe just a saw blade that I hold in my hand to cut the pipe.

If the pipe is too short, then the big hole allows me to go farther down and couple on more length.
  3. Sterling

Sterling New Member

Thanks for the thought-starter.:)
    I wonder if a cutting wheel on a dremel would work?

Attached Files:

4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

That might work, but an inside pipe cutter only costs about $10, and works well.