Problem installing drain in Maax shower kit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Sterling

Reaction score
I purchased a Maax ABS shower kit and it includes a "Wedge-lock no-caulk" drain assembly. The instructions indicate that the drain pipe needs to be 1/2" below the bottom of the base. The problem is that the bottom of the base at the drain hole measures only 1/4" to the concrete basement floor. I have already chiseled out a 5" diameter, 2" inch deep trench in the concrete around the drain pipe to accomodate the drain assembly. But how can I cut the ABS drain pipe 1/4" below the level of the floor?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
how can I cut the ABS drain pipe 1/4" below the level of the floor?

All things are possible, some just take more time and money than others.

Normally, when installing a shower drain, I have the concrete knocked out around the drain, a fairly good hole. This allows me to use a small saw, or maybe just a saw blade that I hold in my hand to cut the pipe.

If the pipe is too short, then the big hole allows me to go farther down and couple on more length.

Sterling

Reaction score
Thanks for the thought-starter.:)
I wonder if a cutting wheel on a dremel would work?

Attachments

• drain.JPG
    drain.JPG
    8.3 KB · Views: 4,103

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
That might work, but an inside pipe cutter only costs about $10, and works well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks